Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothroax Bibliography
XAIPE!

I am currently doing research into the linothorax debate; linen, leather, metal? How does one compete with the others? Does linen stop an arrow better than metal, or leather more so than linen? I tend to lean toward linen construction, though many seem to prefer some other construction material. However, it seems that people who ever speak of this debate never cite their sources, and when they do it is either Peter Connolly or Nick Sekunda, and even they don't site their sources. So, I would like to see if there is anyone on the boards who can come up with citations of articles, books, etc., over the evidence concerning the materials used in the construction of the "linothorax." I think it's time to stop kicking this poor horse.
Dr Williams "The Knight and the Blast Furnace" did some empirical testing on hardened leather and layered linen. Layered linen performed far better. This is consistent with my own impromptu testing. You need a significantly higher weight of leather to get it to provide a similar degree of protection as layered linen. I wouldn't use the term "linothorax" though. There are a few threads here demonstrating that there is little to suggest that the Greeks ever used this word to describe linen armour. Just call it "layered linen".
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books