Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Roman Military Equipment\' vs. \'Greece and Rome at War\'
Quote:Wow... how ridiculous this has turned out to be. I make a post asking questions about two different books, due to a difference in stated facts in both books and I get slammed for it (nice of Ross to lower my forum Karma... very appreciated). :? All I asked was which book was more accurate and this is what happens. Fantastic. Guess I know not to ask anymore. I'll figure it out on my own from now on or PM those who ARE helpful.

Sorry if I contributed to that impression, Young. But some people here did reply and tryied to answer your questions as best they could. I hope that was usefull at least. If this is of any help, I'd suggest as others did that you should always look at the evidence in both books and think about the different rationale and interpretations that the various authors present and come up with your own opinion. This is true for most history books, in fact. In case the evidence is slim and you should have to accept one or the other book at more or less face value than go for "Roman Military Equipment 2nd edition", since it is far more recent than "Grece and Rome". But this is just a rule of thumb, you will always have to ponder the evidence and the rationale presented and make up your own mind about it.

Hope that helps and sorry if I contributed for your unsatisfaction with this thread.
Pedro Pereira
No, no... you were very helpful as have most of the other people posting here in the thread. It was nice to have been supplied a review from a third party and then other opinions on what's more "acceptable" between the two books. It helped direct me onto another path to find the info which I think I'm happy with.
"It is the brave man\'s part to live with glory, or with glory die."
- Nomen: (T.J. Young)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20th Roman Military Equipment Conference (ROMEC XX) in Cologne Eleatic Guest 0 966 06-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies vol 11 Thomas Aagaard 4 3,758 05-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Julian Parthicus
  Catalogue of Military Equipment from Pompeji jho 1 1,985 07-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs