Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When was Varus appointed Governor of Gaul?
I'm confused about Gaul and Germania. I know he was appointed Gov. of Germania in 7AD, but I'm hearing that he was governor of Gaul? Is that considered a part of Germania and therefore be the same year?

-Elyssa
There wasn't a province Germania at this time but two (semi-autonomous) military districts (Germania inferior and Germania superior) which became provinces later under Domitian at the end of the 1st century. Until that both districts were under the *formal* governorship of the governor of the province Gallia Belgica.
So technically Varus *should* actually have been governor of Gallia Belgica since 7 CE. But I'm not sure here, because Varus had the title legatus Augusti pro praetore germaniae, which implies he was meant to be the governor of a future province Germania magna.
So inspite of this possibly planned change in administration of the territory he may well have not been governor of Gallia Belgica, but somebody else.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
I did get the impression that part of the cause of the disaster was his belief that he was going to be setting up a provincial Gov't
in an already pacified Germania......so his guard was down to quite some extent...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
We'll just have to wait for Jasper's Varus Special for all the answers! :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Centurion reporting to the Governor of a province LonginusXXI 2 1,310 08-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  Governor of Syria 4 - 1 BCE? Gladius Hispaniensis 5 2,147 01-01-2012, 05:41 AM
Last Post: Gladius Hispaniensis