Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
silver cingulum
[attachment=0:3kicv3zd]<!-- ia0 singulum belt 006.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:3kicv3zd]

If you can lay your hands on obsolete early coinage you can make silver spots for your cingulum.
In old money (uk) there is about 40 shillings on here. The small spots on the terminals are 5 pences uk Naughty) The crescents are old Irish punts which I beat out to make them thinner. The little hinges are made from an old sliver cigarette case I cut up.
I erased the face of one side of the coins and the placed them on a socket.
Holding a ball peen hammer on the coin I gave it a sharp whack with a 2nd hammer causing a slight dome. I then soldered Copper nails to the concaved side.
Buffed them on my polisher then whacked them through the leather and snipped them to the desired length
I make my washers from old copper or brass plates my wife buys from boot sales for a few pence. Using an old leather punch (approx 12mm) I punch out the blanks on an old log. A sharp punch is used to make the hole. I fit this on then peen the copper nails over. Done
The buckle, plates and pugio are from Adrian Wink. I made the pugio frogs from a solicitors door plate.
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Dying aint much of a living.
Money well "spent". Nice job! I did similar with the apron studs on some of my belts...used copper pennies that I hammered flat, then tinned.

Legion: TBD
It cost a few BOB but realy it's priceless well done.
Brian Stobbs
avete Omnes

this is one of my congula,is in full silver too...silver is the best material is expansive but after you don't become grazy for clear the plate (the brass is orrible for the clening!!)

valete
PierPaolo siercovich
Very nice work, guys. Silver has a look to it that no other metal does. I'd really like to see a larger picture of yours, Muskitear. Got any links?

BTW, last I checked, in the USA, making things from coins is illegal if it defaces the coins. Besides, US pennies are mostly zinc nowadays, and there hasn't been silver in other coins since around 1964.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Very nice work, guys. Silver has a look to it that no other metal does. I'd really like to see a larger picture of yours, Muskitear. Got any links?

BTW, last I checked, in the USA, making things from coins is illegal if it defaces the coins. Besides, US pennies are mostly zinc nowadays, and there hasn't been silver in other coins since around 1964.
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

close ups. the best i can do[attachment=0:20yhfvww]<!-- ia0 obsolete coinage use 001.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:20yhfvww]
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

My western rig with conchos of silver coins[attachment=0:2f8lam55]<!-- ia0 obsolete coinage use 017.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:2f8lam55]
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

[attachment=0:2755n1ow]<!-- ia0 obsolete coinage use 012.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:2755n1ow]
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

[attachment=0:30fkrq4v]<!-- ia0 obsolete coinage use 006.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:30fkrq4v]
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Quote:avete Omnes

this is one of my congula,is in full silver too...silver is the best material is expansive but after you don't become grazy for clear the plate (the brass is orrible for the clening!!)

valete

Superb work my friend
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Quote:avete Omnes

valete

Is that belt based on the Hoard of Vrhnika find?
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA