Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greave straps
Hello, does any one have any info on the anklet strap things that look like they hold up the greaves? I have seen these in paintings but do not have any other info on them.

Edward
Edward Lindey

A horse is a thing of beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.         Xenophon

It depends on what period you wish to use them for. From what I have noticed, the greaves in the classical age seem to be strapless, they use the flexibility of bronze and the ergonomic muscular design to hold on their own - no straps necessary.

However, if I remember correctly, I have seen straps on greaves found on paintings depicting the heroic age. I am not sure about the hellenistic age, but considering the changes in the phalanx such as introduction of sarissa, many sacrificed their legs protection to satisfy the need for greater mobility.

While on this topic, I am curious about one relevant thinng. I have noticed that some artist depict some sort of buffer around the ankle under the greaves. My thinking on this leads me to believe it was some sort of softening device that was meant to prevent the greave from hurting the feet and making the wearing as comfortable as possible. Is this correct? From what material was is made?
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile
No evidence of what the straps were made of and how they were tied. I can say two thingsfor sure. First, the greaves that had straps were nothing different than the early classical greaves that wraped the leg all around. The later greaves,which appeared in the 4th century bc were exactly the same,PLUS they had the straps.
Second, I have seen a very interesting pair in the Vergina museum. They were found in the Tomb of the "Prince" and they had a metal decorated clip that went all around the greave in the ankle level. It wasn't visible how it was closing because it was closing at the back. I remember i have seen photos somewhere of greaves that have corroded traces of the straps,but can't remember if they were the same ones from Vergina. Perhpas they were also guilded.
So the point is that the straps do not mean an easier construction of a greave that covers only the front of the leg like later roman greaves. It means muscled bronze greaves that go all around the leg and can stay in place only by the springiness of the bronze,but thet are further fastened with straps.
The padding in the ankle appears in many vases. Some times hoplites wear them without the greaves! It is thicker in the front and tied at the back. Its exact shape and construction method/matterial is not known. It does indicate that even the perfectly fitting classical greaves had a tendency to slip downwards when walking or running and that the violent movement of the foot could get painful.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Many thanks for your valuable reply, it is most apprechiated. I have noticed that several re-enactors were wearing some sort of padding, looked like wool to me. What do you guys use, if you use it at all?
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile
Code:
It does indicate that even the perfectly fitting classical greaves had a tendency to slip downwards when walking or running and that the violent movement of the foot could get painful.

That's correct. I've got greaves from Stefan Jaroschinski for my skythian kit and they fit to my legs as well as possible but when I move with them they slip to the footback and rasp the skin. And the fitting of the greaves vary if you wear trousers or calf packings of different thickness. The straps alow you to avoid this spillover as well as possible. I made each of mine of two thin leatherbands stepped together. On the frontsite they are added with rawhidebands between the layers.
Stephan Eitler
WAR CHUNNI ( http://www.awaren.net )
et
ERGASTERION BOSPOROU ( https://www.facebook.com/GensDanubiusEtP...us?fref=ts )
et
HETAIROI ( www.hetairoi.de )
The greaves I wear I secure with strips of rawhide and they wok fine for me. I would think that the Romans would have used some what of the same material until the straps came along.

Strength and Honor

Dante
Well the question was actualy on the padding strap hold up things ( which for a lack of a technical term shall now be known as a set of george's ). I started making a set that I believe give the same look and function. They consist of a leather strap with a rawhide clip sewn to the center. When this is tied around the ankle the clip sits in the front of the leg and forms a pocket that the front of the greave sits in. I have yet to test them out but I believe they will help keep the greave in place while running.

Edward
Edward Lindey

A horse is a thing of beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.         Xenophon

Heres the pictures on the straps that I made for the greaves. I have tried them out and they change the way the greaves ride compleately. No more shifting or reallt tight straps. I can even do wind sprints in them.

Edward
Edward Lindey