Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bu Njem
I put online new photos of Bu Njem, Rome's desert outpost in what is now called Libya. Expect lots of sand.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Expect lots of sand.
LOL :lol:

Cool add-on! laudes!
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
What's the fort directly to the West, next to the modern road?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:What's the fort directly to the West, next to the modern road?
I believe there's a blockhouse from the Italian occupation in the vicinity. Is that it, Jona?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:2w8uk2dk Wrote:What's the fort directly to the West, next to the modern road?
I believe there's a blockhouse from the Italian occupation in the vicinity. Is that it, Jona?
Yep, that's it.
Jona Lendering
My website
So has that Oasis been there the entire time? Also, is most of the fort excavated?

Legion: TBD
Yes, the oasis has always been there: before and after the Romans came and went away. When they were there, the area was greener.

The fort has been fully excavated; the vicus may contain new surprises. The satellite photo suggests that it was surrounded by a wall of its own, something I have not read in any publication.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:The fort has been fully excavated; the vicus may contain new surprises. The satellite photo suggests that it was surrounded by a wall of its own, something I have not read in any publication.
The outlying structures would certainly repay study, if only to ascertain whether they are contemporary, or later "native" Libyan occupation. There is a peculiar structure over to the east which looks like a gateway, but facing the wrong way.

Next time you visit, you must take a trowel, Jona! Big Grin
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Next time you visit, you must take a trowel, Jona! Big Grin
If there will be a next time. I just signed a contract to be a tour guide on a new trip to Libya, but Bu Njem will not be included this time.
Jona Lendering
My website