Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial Italic B from Klakarje
I have just received the exhibition catalogues for the 2000 years Varusschlacht exhibitions in Kalkriese etc..

They show photos of this helmet:

[url]http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/option,com_helmets/task,view/cid,117/Itemid,96/
[/url]

which was classified by Robinson as Italic B.

The helmet has now been restored and it turns out that it actually had eyebrows. They consist of three parallel ribs but their form is actually more similar to eyes than to eyebrows. The look is very similar to the Weisenau-Guttmann type helmets.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Jens... too tantalising! Need pics!!!!!! :wink:

I had thought when looking closely at the HRR pictures that something like this could be discerned. I see this....Am I anywhere near??
[Image: Klakanjeeyes.jpg]
I will scan the book and PM you the pics on Monday.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Peroni,

BTW, I saw a reconstruction on your Armamentaria website of an Italic B from Bucharest. Is this the Klakarje helmet (the helmet database states that it is kept in Zagreb) or a different helmet. If it is a different helmet, can you refer me to a publication?
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
I just notice your drawing now. It is actually VERY close to the real thing!!
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Yes the Deepeeka helmet is the same one.

And I am so glad that my thoughts were close to the findings! The reason we did not develop the Deepeeka helmet with the eyebrows was that there was no hard evidence for them at the time. I may have to email Gagan soon! :wink:
As I already have one of these Deepaka Italic B's without the decoration will it be OK if I just draw them in with a marker pen? :roll:
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Hmmmm wouldn't the eyebrows make it a Gallic?
or are they aplique type eyebrows?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Adrian,

I have sent you the scans by email. For everybody else, here is a sketch of the helmet as restored.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Thanks Jho, that answers that one then.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Note also - as per the ex Axel Guttmann Helmet - no provision for a brow guard reinforcement :wink:
It looks to me like these helmets are a crossover from the montefortinos...a whole breed apart from the other helmets before and after....
but thats just my impression.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:It looks to me like these helmets are a crossover from the montefortinos...a whole breed apart from the other helmets before and after....

They are actually more akin to the Port type Gallic helms IMO. You can see the development quite clearly..
[Image: Frankfurt_APB_05a.jpg]
[Image: G4GallicG.jpg]

Have a look at the helmet from Kessell/Lith It has eyes and eyebrows..
[Image: november2006217B.jpg]
Of course, the family resemblence....Gallic!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources CaesarAugustus 92 18,486 12-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus