Oi... New, and Where to Start?
Well more questions for you then. Tongue

- Lorica Hamata
- Coolus style helmet
- Oval style Scutum
- Mainz style Gladius

If so, is this a good example of the Scutum:

Link

There's SO many different variants to the same style (which is a different variant of another... and so on) that one could get confused. So I want to make the best choice I can. There's mention of an "Augustus" style curved shield... is that during the Augustus reign, or in honor of it afterwards?

Next question is metal vs. wood. When was one or the other used if ever? I hear mention of the shields being both materials, but the wood is most often associated. Then of course you have shows like HBO's Rome that had a subdued (not bright red we see most often) metallic shield (with oval and straight edged together in a scene) that adds more mess to inaccuracies. So what's best in the shield department?

Oh, and to pry more knowledge from you... I'm still trying to figure out where to go (start something, or travel a great distance to get involved in something already established). If I started my own "gig" I'd need to pick a Legio. The few of interest I found were the:

- VIII
- VIIII
- XIII
- XIIII

I'd want a unit that served during the era (pre-civil war, and in Gaul) and still existed into the Imperial era (should I want to branch out in the future and include 100+AD elements). I'd also like something of a faithful unit that didn't flip flop sides during the civil war. Do any of these stand out as a decent choice? Unfortunately there's just not enough information on the net about any of them (or any specific legion for that matter).
"It is the brave man\'s part to live with glory, or with glory die."
- Nomen: (T.J. Young)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by barcid - 05-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Titus Juventius Tertius - 05-20-2009, 02:42 AM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Tarbicus - 05-27-2009, 05:54 AM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Lunico - 08-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Crispvs - 08-17-2010, 10:49 AM