Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deadliest Warrior!
A nice show on Spike TV, I watched some episodes and I liked it. It isn't fully Historical and follows some Hollywood things but seeing the weapons being tested a nice battle at the end isn't that bad. :twisted:

Here for example is the Spartan Vs Ninja Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbY_06JqKzA
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter
This is one of the worst shows in the history of television for showing anything accurate. Yes, the weapon testing is nice, and unfortunately the only worth while element of the show. Everything else is just garbage.

Legion: TBD
I liked the Gladiator one more. Which shows how effective a scissor is Big Grin

[url:3ex2v7o4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNAZ6KVU_dc&NR=1[/url]
ALA I BATAVORUM
I got to do a seminar with the guy using it...Chuck Liddell...

Legion: TBD
Hmmmm... no offense to your friend Matt, but it's just horrible LOL I watch it like a train wreck- it's so bad I just can't look away. They get EVERYTHING wrong- the science is so dubious, the reconstructions a joke and it's basically a Spike show- lots of guys talking trash and playing with knives. I watch it just to see just how much worse it can get...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
It isn't all that accurate.

Yet I can't help but enjoy the weapon testings and the percentages to see the importance of some weapons :mrgreen: .

The end battles are also entertaining, but in real live a fight would probably be over in 30 seconds or perhaps even sooner.
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter
Quote:it's so bad I just can't look away.
hahaha, yeah... I especially liked the "special" ability - or whatever they call it - of the Viking, throwing two spears at once with both hands. WTF?! Seriously, what kind of experts did they consult ...at least they didnt bring up the horned helmet as special weapon :roll:

... and their "cutting edge" computer programm ... what a joke, it's a friggin' excel spreadsheat. :lol: :lol:
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:Here for example is the Spartan Vs Ninja :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbY_06JqKzA
Is this a series of scenes which were deleted out of Bill and Ted´s excellent adventure, because they were to bad for the movie?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:throwing two spears at once with both hands.
I can't get much force, but I can stick two tomahawks (Francescas) in a target at the same time. It takes a lot of concentration, but I learned to do it. No particular reason. I generally only throw right handed. I doubt the Vikings used that double throw, though. It wasn't a sideshow or a demo: they wanted to kill or wound the guys on the other side. Not many can throw well with their off hand.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yup. Totally ridiculous. But as Matt Lukes said, it's a trainwreck you can't stop watching.

Although I got so tired of the presumptuousness, incredulous 'facts' and 'research' and certainly the 'trash talk', especially with "Apache vs Samurai" I just couldn't watch it any more.

The testing is a good effort, but indeed dubious and full of holes. But I'm sure it suffers the same fate as a show like "Mythbusters"
you have 500 hours of material but need to entertain people in 15 minutes. plus commercials which pay for everything. Make that 5 minutes and counting....Did it blow up yet? what's taking so long?

But, at least the Spartan won ;D
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Gladiator vs. Apache is a mind-boggling concept. A gladiator was a slave trained solely for a stylized form of single combat. An Apache was a guerilla fighter whose greatest strength was his ability to use his native terrain to his advantage. The matchup is utterly meaningless. I can predict one thing, though: when a Euro is matched with a non-Euro, the non-Euro will be declared the winner just about every time. To do otherwise would be un-PC. Makes you wonder how Europeans ran roughshod over the whole world for 400 years since everyone else was a better fighter.
Pecunia non olet
This week's silliness- Green Beret vs. Spetsnaz was actually tolerable; primarily it was the fact that the real guys weren't the unduly arrogant clowns the other 'experts' have been- but then these kinds of guys don't have to be all talk. The former Spetsnaz guys were great. And I was surprised, I have to admit, at the outcome. Although once again the 'science' was ludicrous. I mean come on- that little spring-loaded knive being a better weapon than a spade? Man, the spade has been used as an incredibly effective close-in weapon since the First World War. And how they classified that chopping the skull in half wasn't as devestating as the little knife thingie going through three GLASS balls filled with fake blood and sticking in a wooden target a few feet off... well that's just the typical silliness of the show. The only good show on Spike is MXC- and they barely show that anymore... it's so sad...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Didn't see the show (no cable out here in the sticks) but sounds like either one would be the end of a career. A shovel to the head or a sharp blade to the carotid will do the trick, I think. Shovel is a little noisier. I suppose, used like that, a shovel more or less equates to a sword stroke.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hmmm...

Dave please allow me to ads rocks and branches in the arsenal (it part of the training in the ur-orthodox warfare school for those who know)

I would like to see the Spartan do the stands with a proper 10 kgr (22lbs) proprer hoplite aspis!

If you see it in the concept of entertainment oh well... it was fun but historical/scientific analysis (some body stop them!)

Kind regards
Avete Fraterii:

I saw the season finale, 'IRA vs Taliban'. Of all the episodes, this is one that should not have been made. These two are not warriors; they're cowardly murdering swine, who care not the slightest about innocent casualties. See the vid of the taliban hacking Nicholas Berg's head off with a steak knife, and you'll never forget it.
If it were up to me, I'd beat the both of them to death with a large hammer (and laugh maniacally while doing it)

Vale:

Gaius Octavius Drusus
Michael Garrity

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deadliest warrior season 3 joeandmich 12 2,235 09-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Gaius Colletti
  Deadliest Warrior Gaius Octavius Drusus 5 1,730 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Dithrambus
  Deadliest Warrior Hibernicus 0 722 04-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus