Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pictures of Butzbach cavalry and Wiesbaden Imperial helmet
can be found here:

link from old RAT

Feel free to use them for the helmet database. These helmets are currently on exhibition as part of the "generationes" exhibition (on the development of the Roman soldier through the imperial age) at the Saalburg. For more information see this thread:

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=26494&p=237846&hilit=Saalburg#p237846">viewtopic.php?f=23&t=26494&p=237846&hilit=Saalburg#p237846<!-- l

The exhibition is small but EXTREMELY well made consisting of large numbers of replicas of military equipment, spectacular life-size photos of reenactors and very nice flat tin figures dioramas. Definitely worth a visit.

The other helmets on show are a copy of one Schaan helmet and an original Hagenau type helmet found in the Rhine near Rüsselsheim (photos in my web album). They also showed a copy of a Niederbieber type helmet and one of the Augsburg-Pfersee helmets (no photos).

It would be great if somebody with better photographing skills could go there and get better photos in particular of the Butzbach helmet. The Butzbach helmet will be published later this year by Bernhard Pinsker in „Kunst in Hessen und am Mittelrhein“ 2009 (forthcoming).
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Hi!

Is there any chance to "revive" the link or to get a picture of the Butzbach cavalry helmet?

Many thanks,

Frank.
---------------
All the best,
Frank.
Hello Frank.
I don't know if it can be useful for you, but I can olny attach the two pictures that appear in Fischer’s book (p. 209) of the cavalry helmet variante Butzbach-Dormagen.
Best
S.M.

[attachment=4187]VarianteButzbach.jpg[/attachment]
(Mougins Mouseum of Classical Art – from T. Fischer 2012)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Here is the original link, I hope it works:

generationes
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Thanks Ligus it looks pretty amazing! :o
Quote:Hello Frank.
I don't know if it can be useful for you, but I can olny attach the two pictures that appear in Fischer’s book (p. 209) of the cavalry helmet variante Butzbach-Dormagen.
Best
S.M.

[attachment=4187]VarianteButzbach.jpg[/attachment]
(Mougins Mouseum of Classical Art – from T. Fischer 2012)

Ligus do you have any more pictures of these helmets?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Gaius Julius Caesar wrote:

Ligus do you have any more pictures of these helmets?

Hello G.J. Caesar,
Besides these two, taken from the T. Fischer’s book “Die Armee der Caesaren: Archäologie und Geschichte” in the cavalry chapter and called:

Typ KavallerieHelm mit glatter Kalotte und geradem Stirndiadem, Variante Butzbach.

Cavalry Helm with smooth dome and straight frontal diadem, Butzbach variant.
(sorry for the translate, my German is really bad).

The helmets are exposed in the Armory Collection of the Musee D'Art Classique De Mougins. The photos in the Fischer’s Book comes from here. The one in the right is described: “Bronze and iron Roman cavalry helmet of the Weiler Guisbororugh type, 1st century AD”; and the left one: “Bronze and iron tinned Roman cavalry helmet decorated with a large eagle and laurel pattern, 1st century AD”.

There is another photo of rear view of the left helmet…where you can glimpse the eagle.

[attachment=4228]rear_2012-06-08.jpg[/attachment]

Very best!
S.M.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Thank you Stefano, I have a few tha tare available from the web, but that angle is new and useful!
I apprecuiate it very much!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Roman Citizen Cavalry Mrbsct 9 2,638 11-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Urselius
  Off to Wiesbaden and Mainz - Recommended Roman Sights/Sites Thiudareiks Flavius 3 1,550 03-15-2007, 12:54 AM
Last Post: Thiudareiks Flavius
  Imperial Cavalry Catiline 1 2,232 02-02-2001, 08:57 PM
Last Post: