Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SIMON SCARROW BOOK CONTEST QUESTION 7
Salvete omnes!

I'm pleased to announce that the publisher of Simon Scarrow's books about Macro and Cato, Headline Review, is providing 5 prizes of all 8 books in the series for a Roman history trivia contest that will be held on RAT for the next 8 weeks. The questions will be posted one per week, on Saturday, but at various times since we have members all over the world, and all members of RAT are eligible to participate. Three prizes will be awarded for the most correct answers, and two will be awarded by random draw from a list of all who participate, so even if you don't know all the answers just by playing you could win :mrgreen:

The first question will be posted on Saturday 9. May, the last on Saturday, 27. June, with the contest to close- i.e., answers must be in by, 23.59 (PDT) on 30. June. The winners will be announced 1. July.

To answer, simply email me by clicking on the email (NOT the PM) button on the right below my Avatar.

How to play and the fine print:

No purchase is necessary to participate. Questions will be posted in a Global Announcement. Answers are to be emailed to me using the email button below my avatar on the right. Receipt will not be confirmed. Each member may answer once only. I will keep track of all the answers and names of participants. Only emails received can be considered. Answers are held by both myself and Jasper. Our discression may be used to determine correctness of answers if there is any ambiguity. As multiple members may get the same number of correct answers, ties will be decided by a score related to the order of received correct answers (1 point for being the first to correctly answer, 2 for being second, 3 for third, etc.), the lowest score being the best. In the case of a further tie of more than 3 people, a random draw will determine the 3 winners. The random draw for the 2 remaining prizes is self-explanatory. RAT is simply hosting a trivia contest, and collecting the names of winners, RAT nor any of its officers will have any involvement with the prizes- the actual prize element is the sole responsibility of Headline Review. In order to receive their prizes, winners must agree to allow their names to be posted at the end of the contest and that their contact information to be provided to Headline Review so that arrangements for delivery of the prize can be made. Headline Review has agreed that no further use of any information provided will be made and winner privacy is ensured. Should any winner decline to provide the necessary information, the next appropriate participant would be declared a winner. All laws regarding the reception of prizes from a contest in the winner's country must be observed. The responsbility for such legal observence is the sole responsibility of the winner and prize supplier.

And here are the books:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Okay, here's the first question:

During the reign of the Vespasian what were the major denominations of coinage used by the Romans (not including Provincial types), and what metals were they nominally made from (remember bronze and brass are different)?

Just email me your answers- don't post them in the thread!
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Question number two:

What is the 'original' name of what we call the 'Colosseum'? (Full Latin or anglicized version will be accepted)

Once again, email the answers with the button at the right or to panzerknacker AT shaw DOT ca
Sorry for the delay in posting this question folks- I was doing some moving this weekend and it slipped my mind. But here it is (finally):

Two of the main characters in the popular HBO series Rome, TITVS PVLLO and LVCIVS VORENVS were in fact real people- a Legionary and Centurio, respectively, mentioned in C. IVLIVS CAESAR's book COMMENTARIORVM DE BELLO GALLICO- True or False?
This week's question is appropriate for this particular year:

Suetonius states in his book The Lives of the Twelve Caesars that following one of two "severe and ignominious defeats", Augustus "...was so greatly affected that for several months in succession he cut neither his beard nor his hair, and sometimes he would dash his head against a door, crying: "QVINTILI VARE, LEGIONES REDDE!" [Quintilius Varus, give me back my legions!] And he observed the day of the disaster each year as one of sorrow and mourning."-

To which specific units was he referring?
Question V:

After the battle of Cannae, Hannibal sent several modii of what specific type of booty taken from the defeated Romans back to Carthage?
Question VI:

From Tacitus we have the anecdote of one Centuio LVCILLIVS, illustrating for us the sometimes harsh discipline in the Legions, and the existence of 'soldier's humour' even 2000 years ago, in his nickname of 'CEDO ALTERAM'- what is the story? (not just the reason for the nickname)
My apologies again folks- got caught up in stuff on Friday and Saturday and only remembered this afternoon that I hadn't posted a question yet LOL So for this one I won't count the order of correct answers since it's so very late.

Question VII:

Which of these is NOT a real GLADIATOR type (and just for the heck of it, what do you think the wrong one really is)?

EQVES
HOPLOMACHVS
SCVTARIVS
THRAEX
MVRMILLO
SECVTOR
RETIARIVS
PROVOCATOR
Simon Scarrow wrote 8! books? Here in Germany are only the first 4 published- :evil: :evil: :evil:
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
And here it is, the last one- Question VIII:

Many of the foods and dishes most of us are quite familiar with have rather different sources than we think- pasta is not Italian, it came from China, for example- and the dish we know as 'French Toast' isn't either; the recipe, white bread soaked in a mixture of beaten eggs and milk, fried in oil, then served covered with honey, appears in DE RE COQVINARIA (VII), a 1st century CE book of recipes by a man called APICIVS- True or False?

Thanks to all who played along Big Grin Remember, you only have until 2359(Pacific Daylight Time) 30. June, 2009 to answer, after which time the scores will be tallied and the first three prizes allocated. A draw by random lot from the remaining entrants will determine the final two prize winners, and all will be announced on 1. July.
Hi Matt, just a word of thanks from one "who played along" for staging a very fun trivia contest. If I could have awarded you a karma point, I would have, but I still need some myself to reward them to others, it would seem. So all those in favour, shower Matt in Karma (and then cover him in honey and serve :lol: )
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Definitely- with a light sprinkling of crumbled edible dormice?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Nah, I prefer my dormice uncluttered by Matt :lol:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
LOL
Hi Robert,
Quote:Hi Matt, just a word of thanks from one "who played along" for staging a very fun trivia contest. If I could have awarded you a karma point, I would have, but I still need some myself to reward them to others, it would seem. So all those in favour, shower Matt in Karma (and then cover him in honey and serve :lol: )

You'll have to wait until you have 5 of your own, it seems. So I have awarded Matt two points, one from each Robert. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Book Contest! Matt Lukes 0 2,104 08-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Matt Lukes
  New Ben Kane Book Contest Matt Lukes 0 2,625 08-04-2010, 02:36 PM
  ANTHONY RICHES BOOK CONTEST Matt Lukes 2 2,419 10-05-2009, 05:06 PM