Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking For Information On Oescus In Moesia AD 69
Hello,<br>
<br>
Sorry if this kind of thing is covered elsewhere. I just joined the forum tonight and haven't had time to look around yet.<br>
<br>
I'm writing a historical novel and I'm hoping that someone can point me to some resources for researching a location.<br>
<br>
Several of my characters are soldiers (Legio III--Gallica) stationed in Oescus in Moesia in AD 69. I haven't been able to find much information about Oescus other than a brief entry in Michael Grant's "Guide To The Ancient World" which describes it as a "fortress city" on the Danube.<br>
<br>
I need to be able to give at least a plausible description of what Oescus might have been like at the time. I guess the question is: what is a fortress city? Would the army have actually been stationed within the walls of the city? If so, would they have been living in a typical compound with barracks and so on in a certain district of the city, or did this vary from place to place? I also need to give a reasonably accurate picture of the city as a whole--the people living there, the buildings, commerce, etc.<br>
<br>
Any pointers to research sources would be appreciated. Since it's possible that not much is known about the physical layout of Oescus at the time, does anyone know of any other "fortress cities" I could use as a model for my descriptions?<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance. <p></p><i></i>
Hi. Welcome to the forum!<br>
I don't know much about Oescus, but in general, it was more common for legions to be stationed in/near cities in the eastern part of the empire. In the European part, there were seldom cities large enough to accommodate a legion. Instead, villages and cities grew up near the legionary bases. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
There's a paper about the extramural buildings at Oescus at home.germany.net/101-2007...ister.html - in German, but might be useful if you can read that language. <p></p><i></i>
Thanks. It looks like I'll need to use my imagination to re-create Oescus. If I combine the material in my books on Roman army forts, ancient cities, and the Barrington Atlas, I should be able to come up with something at least reasonable. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trajanic Diploma for Moesia Inferior dated 13.Mai.105? Spedius 8 2,866 02-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Last Post: raeticus