Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celtic Boar standard
That is just BRILLIANT. Excellent work!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks guys for the kind words, especialy Lucius

Quote:Congratulatiosn, it's a very nice work, and gives too a very realistic and convincent looking. When we make real objects it's easier, because we only have to copy them. But you have made not only a recreation of what a celtic standard colud have be made; You have made an object of art, because is your creation, and it's very beauty. Often we have seen so many things hypotethical made but without any credibility. Yours have 100% of credibility.

Probably if roman, the boar were painted... But i like more that nice contrast between wood, gold and coral.

Best regards...

What you wrote, Lucius, for me reflexes one of the differences between Celtic and Roman reenactment and their reënactors. Although there's a lot of information about Celtic finds and such, it's still more difficult and I think more expensive to get them in comparation with Roman stuff. The same goes for reproductions to buy. On one hand this makes it more interesting and more of a challenge, on the other hand it does take more time, effort and money to get stuff up to the same standard that Roman reënactors do, I think….
While trying to avoid the pitfall of making "fantasy" stuff, yes it does at the same time give some more room for improvising and creativity which I like...
Oh yeah and this forum and the things you people make does inspire me to raise the bar...
So thanks again guys for the kind words, the laudes and the inspiration…
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
Fantastic ! woodworking at its best , well done .

Julius .

( Are you any good a fixing garden fences ? I have one that needs doing :lol: )
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
FANTASTIC, I love that just as a piece of art, let alone as a standard. Well done Folkert!
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Hi Folkert,

I beg to disagree with your statement re Roman and Celtic reconstructions. My interest in this field dates back to the times when you quite simply did your research and approached your project by means of your own hands and skills. No shortcuts, no cheapy off the shelf stuff avaliable. Your apporach is exactly this and I wish everyone would follow your lead!!
My compliments for your craftsmanship and perseverance in completing the standard, I know just how much effort it takes.
It outclasses everything you could buy 'off the shelf' as seems to be the case with so many pieces of equipment these days. Copies of copies, misinterpretations of evidence, poorly researched, there's way too much of this stuff around. You have indeed set a standard for others to aim for and there's no difference whatsoever if it's a Roman or a Celtic subject. It always comes down to the same, simply do the math and get it right Big Grin
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987