Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wounds of Honour by Antony Riches
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wounds-Honour-E ... 983&sr=8-1

I've just been lucky enough to read an advance copy of this book, and loved it. Set on and around Hadrian's Wall, with a Roman (originally of noble birth, but fallen on hard times) commanding as centurion an auxilliary century of Tungrians. The battle scenes are the most authentic I have ever read- really well researched- and the whole thing is gripping. I also loved the interplay, joshing and mick taking between the soldiers. Its genuinely gritty and visceral. I rate it above the Scarrow books- which I really liked. Hopefully there will be sequels?

Highly recommended- five star stuff. Not out yet, but can be pre ordered.

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
And a copy has just arrived.Anthony also occasionally posts on RAT as well. Recommended!
[Image: 51rBKucJTqL._SS500_.jpg]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Caballo,
thanks for the review. I'm look forward to reading it.
Renius/Greg German
Legio VI FFC
Ordered it yesterday from Amazon. Saw your review on there, Caballo.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Which group is that on the cover?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Read this after reading Gladiator by Simon Scarrow.
Allthough I like Scarrow a lot I admit that I liked Mr Riches' book even better. More...athmosphere.I Can't wait for the next book to come out (April 2010 according to Amazon).
So if you read this Anthony: well done! But please write faster! :wink:

Cheers

S.P.
Andreas ( <-- Greek name!)

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM[/b]
Thanks for the kind comments, they're much appreciated. Wounds of Honour debuted at number eight in the Sunday Times hardback fiction best seller list after ten days sales, which was way beyond any expectation I had, and a testament to the great job done by Hodder & Stoughton. Number two is already complete, and I'm busy with number three right now, so it's not a question of writing speed, more one of publishing leadtimes. The process is (necessarily) a good deal more complex than you might think! As it happens the April date is also quite fortuitous, since book 2 is filling an empty publishing slot - in the usual course of things it wouldn't have been out until next August.

Anyway, thanks again, your encouragement is appreciated.

Best regards,

Tony.
No 3 is in the making already? Great! Hopefully there will be a No 4,5,6,7,8,9 etc as well.
Most enjoyable read I had for a long time and I hope it will be a long and successful series.
I'll even be buying your Hardbacks, just keep'em coming.

Cheers

S.P.
Andreas ( <-- Greek name!)

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM[/b]
I agree a very readable book with good probably better plotting than Scarrow but not quite as vivid battle scenes.
Once again using experience in the Territorial Army to present a credible view of life in an Auxilliary unit; even to the extent of officers and centurions messes!!
What is interesting is that at last some attention is being given to the Auxilliaries which are much more typical of the wall garrisons than the Legions. For too long in Britain they have been the "gentlemen in the rear" and taken 2nd place to the legions. The literature has reflected this with the main work still being Cheesman which goes back to the Edwardians.
Now events this year have seen the continentals especially the french going big on the auxilliaries and at Namur they quite stole the show!!
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
Forgot to mention the pic is the Guard at the back with a Centurion at the front carrying a shield which looks like the British 2nd Augusta
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
hey gents,
thanks for this title, my wife and I do enjoy reading these ancient history novels - curiously it seems that the British writers are quite good at creating them - so another one for our library as this book is available for purchase on Amazon.com (along with Sidebottom's 'Fire in the East')
dzieki thanks gracias spasiba Smile
ps
anyone has read 'Tyrant' by Mr.Cameron? I guess in that book we will travel with Kineas, Athenian cavalryman, who is taking his story to Olbia and ancient cost of Black Sea after the death of Alexander the Great. Ihave just ordered it from Amazon - I read his 'Washington and Caesar,' a very fine novel, and I do have great hopes for this one.
bachmat66 (Dariusz T. Wielec)
<a class="postlink" href="http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/">http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it. It was a great read and I hated putting the book down. Well done Tony and I look forward to picking up the rest of the series as they come out!

Brian Luscombe
Ontario, Canada
Brian Luscombe
I am still waiting for my copy to arrive from amazon.com, 3 weeks and still going Sad
I did not like Mr Sidebottom's novel to much, it was ok

Meantime I got and read Tyrant by Cameron of www.hippeis.com and I love the story as it takes place in the most neglected area of ancient world woods - north shore of the Black Sea during the Scythia golden age and Philip/Alexander Macedonian Empire Era. I could disagree with the author on some equipment et al, but the idea and area are so novel and unusual that small errors can be excused, and they did not deter me from enjoying the read. I ordered the second volume already...
bachmat66 (Dariusz T. Wielec)
<a class="postlink" href="http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/">http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/
I'm halfway the book and muchly enjoy it. It's the first novel about Roman period I read and I'm sure more will follow. Being at Hadrians wall last summer, I can imagine where a big part of the story takes place. Real cool. I would also recommend this one to everyone interested in historical novels.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anthony Riches new Novel derek forrest 3 1,580 07-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Last Post: bachmat66