Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Musculata connected by belt straps
Although all of the Roman representations of Musculatas show them connected via rings or loops on the sides, do you think it would be acceptable for a reenactor portraying a tribune/legate/praetorian to wear a musculata that is attached to the back plate by small leather belts? I would prefer to have it be as accurate as possible and could perhaps try to modify it (though I dont have much skill in this area) but I beleive I've seen pictures of reenactors wearing musculatas connected by belts, so perhaps this is overlooked or acceptable? I've read that historians dont really understand exactly how some musculatas were connected to the backplates so is this acceptable? The reason I'm asking is because I've come across a musculata I really like and can afford, and the musculature is fine, as well as the shoulder doublings and is overall pretty accurate for a trajanic period tribune, all except for the way it connects to the backplate. Any advice here? I appreciate any help. Thanks.
Dennis Flynn
Yeah, it's a bit mysterious how the Romans (though not the Greeks) connected their breast and back plates together but the most common system portrayed on their statues isn't rings or loops but hinges. It should be fairly easy to attach them to any musculata. When you're putting on the armor you line up the hinges and drop in a pin to lock them together.

AFAIK, the Romans didn't use a belt system for the musculata but at least it's something they could have done. Afterall, they did use belts for their lorica segmentata (Corbridge 'A' version).

~Theo
Jaime
I have made a few Musculata in my time and have connected the front and back useing the hinge and pin method, however at times ( infact most times ) one needs the help of another to hold the pieces together or to insert the pins.
I did change the system to a strap and buckle method for the late Douglas Arnold, this was after he had left the second augusta group but still did talks and needed to fit the armour on his own. I had to fit tounges on the inside of the back piece with slots on the inside of the front piece which held the two pieces together very well and stopped any sideways movement when the buckles were latched up together this system worked very well for him indeed.
Brian Stobbs