Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pieced Garments
All,
Hello this is my first post and I figured I would try to start out with a decent question. Here goes nothing......
Is there any eveidence of Roman tunics that are "pieced"? Either civilian or military. If my understaning is correct looms wide enough to weave garments, or at least cloth to make the garments, un-pieced existed. But was it done? In the other time eras I dabble in, such as the 18th century, this happened so why not then? Granted this didn't always happen because the cloth was to narrow. It could be to save cloth or to get a complete garment out of smaller pieces. Below is a link to an extant garment. Though a bit later than what I am looking for it is a pieced tunic.

http://www.globalegyptianmuseum.org/record.aspx?id=34

Thank you for your help,

James Burns
For me, at least, it's hard to tell whether the discoloration is a result of seams, or if instead, it's just aging irregularly, possibly because of the way it was stored way back when. I'm assuming you're talking about the horizontal bands of color across the front, main section.

Truth is, I can't even see for sure if the sleeves are woven into the body in a single piece, or if they're neatly sewn on. It more looks like the former to me, but of course, I've never seen the original piece in person. There are probably people on this board who have, though, and maybe they can give some insight.

The decorative stripes and rectangles are not patches, but instead are decoration sewn on top of the tunic. They don't cover holes and tears; they just made them that way.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
There is a small text box about the tunic on the museum page I listed. To save others some time I have copied it and here it is.

"This man's tunic belongs to a category dating to the fourth to seventh centuries. It features narrow clavi, sleeve bands and squares decorating the shoulders and the lower part of the garment. The tunic consists of three pieces: a front, a back, and another longer piece forming the part covering the chest, back and sleeves. The ground fabric is of undyed linen; the tapestried parts are of purple wool and undyed linen. The ornamental designs are limited to simple foliage, squares, and a roundel depicting a running animal".

I should have put that in the first post my apologies.
James Burns
Seems to be pretty good sewing, as the seams are fairly invisible. I guess, then, that the top piece and the sleeves are actually one piece? Interesting method.

As far as I know, older tunics, the ones most Imperial and Republic reenactors wear, are made from two pieces joined at the shoulder seam, or that construction with attached short sleeves. The former is the more common.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.