Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity in the roman empire.
Quote:or if not I would like to know who the first pope was, the chronological list of popes could not stretch so far.
The traditional answer is Peter, even though he is not mentioned in the Bible as ever visiting Rome, and his absence from Acts when Paul arrives in Rome is surprising. On the other hand, that may be explicable. I do not betray one of Christianity's mysteries when I say that Paul and Peter were not exactly on the best of terms. Personally, I think that the evidence for Peter's visit, although indirect, is sufficient. Clement, writing in the nineties of the first century, takes Peter's stay in Rome for granted. So, if by pope you mean "leader of the Christians of Rome", Peter's your answer. After that, the sequence of names is contested; still, the evidence from the catacombs -where many papal tombs were found- proves that the tradition is reliable from at least the third century onward.
Quote:Am I right in saying that there was such thing as 'the holy roman emperor'?
That title is usually used for the German emperor of the Middle Ages.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Messages In This Thread
Re: Christianity in the roman empire. - by Magnus - 05-02-2009, 04:48 AM
Re: Christianity in the roman empire. - by Jona Lendering - 05-02-2009, 05:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christianity and the Late Roman Empire Valerian Pertinax 29 5,755 03-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Alanus