Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Stoic school on Rhodes
I'm having real trouble finding much, indeed any, information about the Greek Stoic school on Rhodes in the first century BC: size, description, layout, details of students (rich Romans, I've read), tutors etc. Any info on Posidonius would also be gratefully received.
Can anyone help?
Many thanks in advance.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
I’m not sure how much information is out there. I don’t recall ever reading about its physical location in Rhodes. A number of students and teachers are mentioned by name in various sources, though. Many seem to have been Greek.

The Cambridge Companion to the Stoics, edited by Brad Inwood, has some information about the school in the opening chapters you might be interested in.

I think Posidonius was mentioned quite a bit by ancient writers. Have you read Diogenes Laertius?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Many thanks - I haven't read Diogenes :oops: or The Cambridge Companion to the Stoics, but will make it my business to do so. It's good to know (although frustrating) that you too have not read physical descriptions of the school. I'll see if anyone else has more info, and keep searching myself.
Best wishes
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

www.benkane.net
You're right, there is a dearth of information on Posidonius, but I hope these links help you. The entire island became a sort of private school for the children of wealthy Romans during this era.

Pompey visited Posidonius on Rhodes in 62 BC while he was attending to other matters:
Plutarch- Life of Pompey
Posidonius visited Rome around 51 BC, and he was a student of Panaetius:
Suda
When he died, he was apparently 84 years old:
Lucian

Also worth noting. Caesar and Cicero both studied rhetoric at Rhodes under Apollonius Molon:
Plutarch- Life of Caesar
Gaius Cassius Longinus studied rhetoric there too, under Archelaus:
Appian
...and Brutus too, under Pammenes:
Plutarch- Life of Brutus

If you click those links and just wait a second for them to work their magic, they'll bring you right to the passage you're looking for.
That's great - thanks! Interesting that so many of the big names studied there, not just 'rich' Romans. It must have been an institute of high renown indeed for so many of Rome's most illustrious young men to attend.

www.benkane.net

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cognition in Stoic and Peripathetic schools eugene 2 939 03-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Last Post: eugene