Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Uniforms?
Quote:There is some possibility of different color uniforms with the legions. Red for combat and drill white for parades and special occasions and even some other undyed color as a garrison fatique uniform. (...) All speculation of course but if different color uniforms were used it would just make it more difficult to interpet the scanty evidence.

But isn't that just MORE speculation then tunic colours in general (although it would support that more colours could be used in military context).

Quote:I am very very confused now. I think if I re-read everything and gather all teh information I may be able to make my own assumption of the matter.

Okay, just get some air, and read Matt Amts website on tunic colours. Before, during and after that think of this as a hardly debated object, where (at least some) re-enactors prefer to speculate and scholars tent direct sources they've found. After that read this topic again and indeed do what is the best: Make your own assumption on the matter and remember it's just a educated guess, as long as you don't go for the colours we have direct sources for.

Okay, as you don't have made up your mind by then, search for Grahams books. A lot of colour evidence is in there! (Amazon will do the job, those Ospreys aren't that expensive and the drawings are worth the money)
ALA I BATAVORUM
OK, thankyou. I will be sure to look for Graham's book(s). If there are bookS which one would be best in your opinion, or if Graham himself is there which would best suit my need or would you reccomend I read all (if plural) to get the most knowledge?
Conor Maher
Hello Conor

Quote:OK, thankyou. I will be sure to look for Graham's book(s). If there are bookS which one would be best in your opinion, or if Graham himself is there which would best suit my need or would you reccomend I read all (if plural) to get the most knowledge?
OK, thankyou. I will be sure to look for Graham's book(s). If there are bookS which one would be best in your opinion, or if Graham himself is there which would best suit my need or would you reccomend I read all (if plural) to get the most knowledge?

If you can hang on for a few weeks I would suggest you get 'ROMAN MILITARY DRESS' published by the History Press.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Ok, I shall be sure to look!
Conor Maher