Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where can I find reconstruction Hellenistic thracian helm
I am having 2 made by manning imperial http://www.manningimperial.com/ you may wish to contact them also, these are the images im using to base the reconstruction on [attachment=0:150vn3rg]<!-- ia0 helmpo0[1].jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:150vn3rg][attachment=1:150vn3rg]<!-- ia1 thracian_sketch.jpg<!-- ia1 [/attachment:150vn3rg][attachment=2:150vn3rg]<!-- ia2 thracian_helm.jpg<!-- ia2 [/attachment:150vn3rg]
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Do you know Gianni Indovino? it is an italian craftman that works for movies, he did the helmets from Alexander the Great (Oliver Stone), also worked for Dragonheart, Van Helsing, and a lot of movies more. I asked him about doing this kind of helmet based on the pics from the louvre museum. I'll keep you updated

Edit: I couldn't see the pictures before Barcid, I sent Gianni the same helmets :lol: The second one is from the museum from Berlin, ist'n it? I was looking for that helmet and I finally found it looking in the online database of the museum. But it only appeared a picture of one side of the helmet, so I couldn´t see the front. Finally we decided to add a gorgon to the front part and a macedonian star in cheekpieces. Some freedom, but looks nice Big Grin

We used this gorgon head. It is a roman copy of a greek original from VI century
[Image: gorgona15.jpg]
Javier Sanchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
The helmet has just arrived, only one week shipping from Italy, I spected at least 10 days Big Grin

[Image: 10082009012.th.jpg]
Javier Sanchez

Quote:The helmet has just arrived, only one week shipping from Italy, I spected at least 10 days Big Grin

Congratulations. It's a very nice helmet! Seems indeed to be a real good craftsmen.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Very nice Nearco ! 8)
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Great reproduction,congratulations. Can you also post a photo of it worn?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Quote:The helmet has just arrived, only one week shipping from Italy, I spected at least 10 days Big Grin

[Image: 10082009012.th.jpg]

Very nice. Can you give us an idea of the price range?
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Of course, here are some pics of the helmet worn:

it is made of brass, the sheet of brass is thick and it looks quite resistant. it weights more than my deepeeka helmets!

In the pics I am not wearing any kind of padding, just the helmet.

I am very surprised, because he did the helmet really fast, less than a week making it and another week for shipping. I think he can do anything you want, I just sent him the pics, my measures and he just did it in five or six days. I also have been lucky because he actually is not doing any movie, if he would be doing one it would have taken more time to get the helmet.

Price rank is high but depends of what you want, but could be around 1100, 1200€. I supose easier helmets would be cheaper, but you should talk to him if you have some question.
Javier Sanchez

Fantastic! It fits perfectly!

I sent you a PM.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
PM answered Big Grin
Javier Sanchez

Thanks frater!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Ave,
A fabulous helm indeed.
Makes me want one for myself...I have to admit that I'm VERY partial to Joe's Lonely Forge variation. I still think that the Rhodian Trophy version with the Sphinx crest is the one that I want. I have a feeling that poor Joe will have his workk cut out for him.
Salve to all my friends out there
Vitruvius a.k.a Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
[attachment=1859]HellenisticAttic1.jpg[/attachment]
This is perfect helmet Nearco, I am speechless!
My congratulations!
Do you think this type of helmets was the one shown so often on frescoes

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Lucius Campanius Verecundus Signifer Legio quarta Scythica
A.K.A. Yordan Kolchev
Hi Dany Boy!

Sorry for answering so late! I have been out of the forum and also reenacment due to many reasons. I expect to have more free time!!

I think this kind of helmet was very common in all hellenistic armies, and there were a lot of variations of the same model so it is possible that this helmet was also widely represented in art, . I can see a soldier on that relief that is wearing a helmet very close to mine (third head from the left), but others seem to wear an attic helmet. Is there a spina on their shields? Maybe they are thureophoroi..
Javier Sanchez

I think that is the most perfectly fitting helmet I have ever seen. Those cheek pieces actually look comforting and snuggly :lol: . Nice piece 8)
Todd Franks

"The whole race is madly fond of war, high spirited and quick to battle, but otherwise straightforward and not of evil character." - Strabo on the Celts

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iron Hellenistic Thracian Helmet Creon01 18 6,793 11-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  New hellenistic helmet reconstruction... Virilis 32 13,067 02-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Dany Boy