Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hollywood Does It Again...
Whoa, Dude-San!
Pecunia non olet
And speaking of the numerous film versions of the 47 Ronin...

Here is one that might be worth your time and consideration (Recent DVD Release):

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/36856/lo ... ngura-the/

I still believe the 1962 Inagaki version to be the best, but this one does look good.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Just saw that there will be perhaps another remake. This time the unfortunate victim will be the Ray Harryhausen classic "The clash of the Titans":

--------
Warner Bros. plans to produce a remake of the 1981 film. Louis Leterrier is attached to direct, and Sam Worthington, Alexa Davalos, Gemma Arterton, Mads Mikkelsen, Liam Neeson, and Ralph Fiennes are cast in the film. Filming is planned to begin in late April 2009, and the film is scheduled to be released on March 26, 2010.
-------
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Quote:Just saw that there will be perhaps another remake. This time the unfortunate victim will be the Ray Harryhausen classic "The clash of the Titans"
They can't destroy that one, only improve it - it was rubbish.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Here is more info on the New Clash of the Titans...

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22915">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22915<!-- l

Despite this original's popularity with certain members of the family I happen to agree that in this case the re-make can only be an improvement.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
oh... :oops:

well, i'm a Ray Harryhausen fan so i like the movie because of the stop-motion in it.

(but then again i also think that "plan 9 from outer space" is also good movie so it could be that my taste is just terrible.. :? )
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Don't get me wrong, I like stop motion animation too, but I think Jason and the Argonauts used the Greek Myths to better effect than did Clash. Besides, the battle with the "Children of the Hydra" is one of the best bits of stop motion animation ever done and still works as a great action sequence created by any means.

As for plan 9... well, I did like Tim Burton's film Ed Wood -- very droll.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
"...now which plan was that? Ah, yes. Plan Nine...." Classic bad writing, but I like that movie, too. Call me sympatico.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Keanu Reeves? Sweet Jeebus- that's it, I give up. I've had virtually no expectations from Hollywood for years and now I'm convinced they must have monkeys in charge. Remake after remake, butchery of icons, awesome visuals but ridiculously poor writing- it just can't get any worse. I used to love movies, but in the last decade I've been watching fewer and fewer because it's becoming rarer and rarer that I see anything I like because of the level of pure crap...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
....yeah, wot he said!! Smile D
Why all the remakes? Have they run out of ideas? God knows there are many splendid stories that have never been filmed........and the seemingly never- ending trend to shorter and shorter scenes - they are currently almost 'subliminal' ( action scenes in 'Star Trek' or 'Transformers' for example)... try timing scenes - they are measured in tenths of a second! Have 'attention spans' become so short? Check out the action sequence such as the one in the Hitchcock movie where the hero is buzzed by the crop-duster, or any action sequence in 'Seven Samurai' for proof that a longer scene can be just as tense..... :evil: :twisted: :roll:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Theatre law: the longer a tense scene has to run, the better the acting, props, set, and lighting have to be. Nuff said, eh? The West, at least, has become a sound bite culture. Much shorter attention spans on most all of us. Try reading Dickens, Hawthorne, even Thoreau, and you'll probably find your mind wandering after a couple of pages. Not like our grandparents' day, is ours.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
...very true, though I happen to like Dickens among others.....I wondered if the fact expensive CGI is cheaper when shorter, might be a factor, but the scene shortening trend goes way back before that..... Sad
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
A Director has been selected for the new 47 Ronin film.

Seems he was to work on the prequel of Alien, but now will do 47 Ronin instead.

They seem to be running behind schedule, but that is common for Hollywood. That any project gets made at all is nothing short of a miracle...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 6ee734d13c

[[size=150:204v1unn]Carl Rinsch to helm '47 Ronin'
Commercials director was loosely attached to 'Alien' prequel[/size]
By Steven Zeitchik
Nov 17, 2009, 05:45 PM ET
Carl Rinsch may not be directing the "Alien" prequel. But he's got a pretty good alternative.

The commercials director, who had been loosely attached to the reboot of the sci-fi franchise, has landed the gig to helm "47 Ronin," the samurai pic that's set up at Universal with producers Scott Stuber and Pamela Abdy.

"Ronin" centers on a group of 18th century samurai who set out to avenge the death of their master. Keanu Reeves is attached to star in the film. Chris Morgan, who counts "Fast & Furious" and "Wanted" among his writing credits, penned the screenplay.

The CAA-repped Rinsch is the commercials wunderkind who made his name directing spots, many with futuristic themes, for the likes of Mercedes and Heineken.

He had originally been reported as attached to "Alien," but reports later broke that Fox preferred Ridley Scott direct it himself (he had been on board only to produce). While there is no official word on "Alien," Rinsch now likely won't direct the prequel.

Samurai tales were for decades a staple in Japan, where movies like Kobayashi's "Harikiri" and Kurosawa's "Sanshiro Sugata" and "Seven Samurai" became broad hits. In the U.S. their audience has often been limited to a more arthouse audience, though Hollywood tried most notably in 2003 with Ed Zwick's "The Last Samurai," a Tom Cruise starrer that earned $455 million globally.

Confusedhock: :? |

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
MOTTOMO BAKA DA NE!! REEVES SAN WA GAIJIN DA YO !! TAIHEN !!

So far my Japanese comment on this ridiculous plan!!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
But wait, there's more...

For those of you who may be interested, here is a copy of v1.3 of the script for the new Keanu Reeves film, The 47 Ronin.

http://www.whoaisnotme.net/scripts/47R_2008_1.3.pdf

And here is a brief synopsis (you will have to overlook the correspondent's grammatical errors):

http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_co ... &Itemid=71

When this film was first announced I thought the inclusion of Keanu Reeves was going to be the major problem, however, having now read the script it is clear that Keanu is but a minor irritant. The writer, and presumably the director clearly have no knowledge or understanding of the Ako Ronin or of pre-modern Japanese History.

This script is absolute crap.

(Please understand that having trained for over a year to perform the kabuki play Chushingura -- to sold out houses in Hawai'i and across the mainland US back in 1978-79 -- I am rather attached to this story. Perhaps I am over reacting, but I doubt it.)

This new script makes The Last Samurai look like a documentary, and Frank Miller's 300 like the very epitome of historical accuracy.

The memory of the Ako Ronin deserve better than this.

Sad

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA