Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plain or decorated greaves
I am making a pair of greaves and was wondering whether or not to add decorations. I do not have the skill to emboss, but I could cut out something rather simple from brass sheet and attach it. The only real greaves I have seen are on the LegioVI site and those appear to be somewhat plain. It is possible my impression will be of Pilate, so would he have worn these? Any suggestions on the decorations? Thanks.
HI, I\'m Bob.
Here goes a guess, in the form of a list of questions (and I'm a theatre guy, so the questions aren't critique, just questions)

Would Pilatus wear armor when he was acting in the capacity of judge, or would he wear a toga, and sit in a curule chair? He wasn't going out to battle (in the physical, anyway) so he would probably not even be armed with a dagger. He would have bodyguards all around for security, as he knew he was dealing with an unruly and potentially dangerous crowd...all the more reason not to be confrontational with the citizens.

If he did wear armor (or if your script calls for armored governors) then possibly he would wear greaves. Just as likely, though, he would wear high boots, like you see on the statues of many generals, tribunes, Caesars, etc. He would not wear greaves, imho, if he didn't wear other armor elements.

If he wore armor and greaves, wouldn't it follow that he would likewise have a shield nearby, wear a gladius and pugio, and wear a helmet?

Just questions. My particular opinion is that he would not be armored or armed at all. Just a tunic with clavi, and perhaps a toga with a striped border. No ball cap, either. Heh. The part could be played just as well and easily with a tunic and paludamentum, which is a heckuva lot easier to move around on stage in than a toga. Takes less cloth, too.

When is your production? Next year? Where? We hope to put one on stage by then, in Central Texas, also.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
First I've to say it agree with Demetrivs when it comes to the need of armour for this impression.

But when you have to give it a go, I would go for plain ones. First it's easier/less work, which we can prove to be based on sources. I don't know of any finds with attached brass cut-out decorations, so in my eyes that would demolish nice greaves.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thank you sirs for the replies. It sounds like good advice all around. Since I've already started on the greaves I'm going to try to finish them. A church in my area hosts the last scenes of Christ's life on earth and has scenes built around the Last Supper, Cruxifiction, etc. This is the second year and appears to get better each year and, I hope to contribute so I'll return here for advice from time to time. Thanks again.
HI, I\'m Bob.