Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quintus Carminius Ingenuus
Dear RATers,
I need as much help on this cavalryman as I can get....!
Photos of the horse harness, standard, shield, basically everything is needed.
Drawings, photos would be a great help...!
Here is the link on the image bank:
http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,94/

Also, would the shield be slung across his shoulders as he holds the standard..?

Thanks!
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Let's start with a hi-res version of the imagebase photo.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Any reconstructions of the sword and scabbard..? Helmet..?
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
I think it would be safe to choose a typical weiler type helmet for the reconstruction of this guy. Or possibly a helmet of the type depicted on the similar tombstone of Bassus.

The harness phalerae are the same as depicted on the Longinus Sdapeze stele..
http://www.armamentaria.com/store/index ... cts_id=269

[Image: 111PDHL166C.jpg]
[Image: butzbach1.jpg]

For the sword.. It's basically a spatha with what appears to be a single locket plate in the same form as a bullseye/concentric ring belt plate.

Peter Connolly did an illustration of this sword type IIRC in G&R @ War. Here's a reconstruction..
[Image: Wroxeter20ceremony202_jpg.jpg]
I would have him wearing a long sleeved tunic, with turned back cuffs, in anything from a salmon-pink via orange to a rust brown colour.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Two more or less contemporary cavalry tombstones from Augsburg show white tunics, one with red clavi, and one white, worn with red trousers and black shoes:
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Thanks for posting those images Christian.
I can not see any clavi on the lower picture and the 'white' tunic looks yellow to me, bronze armour perhaps. The red trousers could be a flesh colour. Of course you can not rely on photos, nothing beats seeing the originals!

Are these tombstones with details of the colours published anywhere?

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Actually Peronis, the hilt of the sword looks more like the Hod hill sword.
Just my 2 asses worth. :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Graham: Not I don´t think they are published properly.
Indeed the rider wears a short bronze cuirass (probably scale). Underneath a white tunic is visible, and some fragmets of red / brown-red clavi can be seen as well. The calvi can be followed, if you look carefully on the original, one in front of the leg, and one on the back. Folds are indicated bz yellow lines, also the outline of the tunic, which covers the thigh almost completely
The trousers on the other figure are dark red/brown, so rather not flesh. Trousers on cavalrymen make sense, IMO. Smile

The stones are tuft, that´s why the colour was preserved. The surface of the stone is so rough, that they had to be covered with gypsum, which absorbed all the paint. So even 2000 years in wet ground preserved them very well. Smile
Here´s a detail of the tunic:
Christian K.

Forgot: Also interesting is the fact that the helmet is reddish, while the armour is yellowish. Bronze / brass?
Christian K.

Found sthg.:

M. Schleiermacher, Römische Reitergrabsteine, 1984. 66ff. and #1-3
Christian K.

Hi Christian.

Thanks I see what you mean now. However compared with other cavalry tombstones such as Togito and Ingenuus himself we would not expect to see the cavalry tunic worn at or below knee length. Do you think what we are seeing in white with yellow folds might be the saddlecloth? Therefore the red 'clavi' which as you say are both in front and behind the leg could be an outline of the leg or traces of colour for the bracae -trousers.

There are certainly images of cavalry sculptures minus bracae-trousers but I agree with you and I know what I would wear!

I have seen the other sculpture before but this one is new to me. Thanks again for posting it. Laudes would be awarded if we still did that!

Graham.

I love it when I get help from the pros..!
Thanks for the photos and information. Jasper has me on a Roman cavalryman project and I wanted more input than my personal library....
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
A lighter shade of white plus a slightly raised area suggests something roughly like this, where green indicates the saddle cloth, white the tunic (IMO) Wink
Christian K.