Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mass production in the early-middle republic?
I am trying to find info on how mass production of military equipment in the third century B.C. would be organised?
Were a myriad of small workshops employed or did the romans use any form of larger central units like the "fabricae" in the late republic?
Cheers,
Jesper
From what I read about the Romans, they used barges to haul finished and un-finished goods through-out the Empire. Sites were selected near rivers and streams ( and their outstanding road system ), and of course mining sites for iron and wooded areas for shield making amongst other things. I'm sure that there were legions posted for protection of the Empire's goods!

Dante
I think it would have been different in the 3rd centurey BC though.
Rome was not yet an empire, but a city state, which was starting to dominate the Italian peninsula, and starting to expand its influence to Sicily and beyond
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
GJC, you mean like when the Senate orders the Scipii to take the settlement at Syracuse within 10 turns?
:lol:
You're quite right, though, about the expansion statments. 8)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elite forces/units in the Pre-Marian army (early- middle republic) Corvus 7 3,430 01-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  Late republic-early imperial era sword Dave G 4 2,187 03-22-2015, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Bruno Bazzani
  Early Republic Consular Army deployment... Macedon 56 9,264 05-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Mark Hygate