Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Gigantes
Here are links to one of the many Straubing Chamfrons that I have created, I have read a little about the Gigantes from Greek Mythology but has anyone ever found why the Romans should show the God Mars being supported by one of the Gigantes such as on this chamfron and indeed from other depictions of this subject.

http://www.listuo.com/sextima/27.jpg

http://www.listuo.com/sextima/29.jpg
Brian Stobbs
It´s weird indeed. One would expect Iupiter to stand on top. However, with the eagle above, maybe it´s supposed to be Iupiter? I´ll check when at home...
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Christian. I think you may well be right as far as the Eagle for Jupiter is known to show himself in this form, why I ask is this Giant appears to be in subjugation as indeed in other depictions.
Brian Stobbs
Brian, look here:
[url:1axoa4d5]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_Column[/url]
Takes too long to explain, and is linked to WP so easily... ^^

*edit*
and here some pics:
[url:1axoa4d5]http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_Giant_Columns[/url]

*edit*
Literature:

G. Bauchhenß, Jupitergigantensäulen, Kleine Schriften zur Kenntnis der römischen Besetzungsgeschichte Südwestdeutschlands Nr. 14, Stuttgart 1976.
Ders., Die Iupitergigantensäulen in der römischen Provinz Germania superior, in: Die Iupitersäulen in den germanischen Provinzen, 41. Beiheft der Bonner Jahrbücher, Köln - Bonn 1981. S. 1-262.
P. Noelke, Die Iupitersäulen und -pfeiler in der römischen Provinz Germania inferior, in: Die Iupitersäulen in den germanischen Provinzen, 41. Beiheft der Bonner Jahrbücher, Köln - Bonn 1981. S.263-515.
P. Noelke, Götter und Kulte im römischen Neuss, Neusser Jahrbuch 1989. S. 13-36.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Thank you Christian some interesting stuff there, like you say it's easier to go through it all than try to explain.
Brian Stobbs
The Gigantes were the same as the Titans? Zues and his mob put an end to them , did they not?
Which would explain the depiction of Jupiter/Zues in a superior position to the freak god.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron. The Gigantes are not realy to be confused with the Titans however in away they are similar, for they were the sons of Gaia or earth and were born from the blood that fell to the earth when Cronus hacked off the genitals of his farther Uranus.
It was of course Gaia who caused the Gigantes to rebel against Zeus for he had flung her Children the Titans into Tartarus, and Zeus did win against the Gigantes by recruiting Heracles.
This is a legend that comes down all the way from Greek Mythology into Roman beliefs and though it was Zeus and Heracles who subjugated these Gigantes, why is it we find that the Romans show the God Mars being supported by one of these Giants.?
Brian Stobbs
Knowing the nature of the Romans, I guess they found the idea of the god of war dominating
to be a more appealing one asthetically? Roman logic...etc :roll: Despite calling themselves the Guardians of Greek culture, I feel they molded it to their own ends when it suited them...

Yes of course Brian, I was trying to recall the stories from my childhood, which is a bit further in my past than I care to remember.... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I know Byron it's awful when you grow old aint it !!
Brian Stobbs
Me? I'm not growing old! I'm just losing my memory! :lol: :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel