Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vindolanda digging experiences?
A friend at work was looking for a dig for a break from graduate school, and saw the Vindolanda site's volunteer information. Has anyone had the experience in digging at Vindolanda with Birley?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
No, but I did look into it a couple of years back. You have to apply in well in advance
as they have limited spaces. But I did watch them dig last year, (or the year before).
Quite an interesting site...... :|
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I have a friend who went there as a volunteer several years in a row. The archaeology is very interesting and yes, you do need to apply well in advance. One year she delayed in applying in good time, and was unable to get the weeks she wanted. It's not a training dig, so you're likely to be told to dig that area, but you won't be involved in recording it. So don't expect tuition. The excavations are in an area where the public pass by, so you'll get asked questions about what you've found so you'll get a chance to boast about the coin you just that moment found :lol:

I believe the excavations are now mostly run by Birley Junior, plus other supervisors.

I'm not sure of the accommodation set up. Since my friend was in her 50s (and never a camper) bed & breakfast was the name of the game for her.
I was quite bemused when I was watching to see one girl methodically filling a wheel barrow, to be dumped as spoil, then another girl walk in behind her, rumage through the dirt, and picks out something of interest....what I did not find out.
But I guess it shows up the fact it can turn into a labour rather than a joy for some.... :|
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I volunteered for a week back in about 2000 or so when I was doing an overseas study in Liverpool.

It was actually a very different experience for me, I'm used to American archaeological digs (I did a few in college) where you sort through EVERYTHING with a fine tooth comb. I was floored when I (rather excitedly I might add) found some pieces of roman glass and of all things, chicken bones about 4 feet down right next to one of the walls and I was told to throw them away because they had so much of that. Its the difference between working at a huge, rich site as compared to a lot of the other sites ive worked on, I guess :lol:

As a whole it was really enjoyable and everyone there was amazingly nice and helpful. To be honest the biggest problem I ran into was getting used to the weather up there. It was in mid april and the weather was just nuts. wed go from 50 and sunny to 20 with HAIL in about 30 seconds flat and then back again. It really was rather amazing....
Michelle E. Hildebrant
[url:3r4j67h2]http://hoplite480.livejournal.com/[/url]
The digging at Vindolanda is fabulous. I dug there every summer from 2003 through 2006, have only taken a break due to fatherhood, hoping to get back to Tynedale this year or next at the latest. Great mix of people, some amazing archaeology that comes up, all the pro's on-site are fab & very approachable. Gorgeous countryside, the Twice Brewed Inn has good food & a friendly atmosphere. Weather can be very changeable, and the digging can be strenuous -- lots of wheelbarrow runs and heavy digging, sometimes even in deeper levels depending on if you've hit sensitive flooring or bulky ramparts. But I've always found it satisfying.

If you're interested, I run a Web site designed for volunteer excavators, www.wedigvindolanda.com .
Everything old is new again.
Quote:I was quite bemused when I was watching to see one girl methodically filling a wheel barrow, to be dumped as spoil, then another girl walk in behind her, rumage through the dirt, and picks out something of interest....what I did not find out.

Sounds about right. My partner was digging at Caerleon las year and, after the dig was finished, we took a couple of children to see the site. 10 minutes on the spoil heap and we'd pulled out a tile with hobnail impressions, another tile with a Legio II stamp on it, a large bit of decorated antefix and some bits of copper alloy.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
My Centurio'n's son, John, volunteered at Vindolanda while he was on leave from Iraq. He found a couple interesting artifacts while there, too and took lots of pictures.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gone for the summer: Digging in Greece Dan Diffendale 15 3,516 06-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale
  Experiences on videoprojectors? Virilis 1 1,298 02-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus