Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman structures in L\'Aquila?
I'm sure everyone has heard of the horrible earthquake in Central Italy that has killed several hundred people and left thousands homeless. I have heard about some historic churches being destroyed or damaged, but I haven't heard anything of ancient Roman edifices.

Does anyone know if there are any noteworthy ancient structures in the area and, if so, how they fared during the earthquake?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Terrible tragedy.
My condolences to all those who have died, been injured or lost loved ones and their homes.
Is there any news about any survivors found buried under the rubble ? Cry

Talking of buildings, the older stone ones could not cope with the earthquake, however some of the more modern buildings should not have collapsed according some local officials. :evil: I think there is going to be an investigation.
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
I still haven't seen anything about Roman structures, but I did see this article on the Wall Street Journal site: Italy Quake Rescue Extends to Artwork.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I heard from an architecture professor that the region had been severely hit by an earthquake in 1708. It means that most buildings dated back only to the 18th century. The man seemed more concerned with those buildings than with the people living in them, btw... Sad
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
In the region there are fine roman remains Confusedhock:
www.turismoaq.com/arteecultura/archeologia.php

I know of no damage
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."