Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This might be a common question about Centurions...
...but what kind of shield did the Centurion use during the early empire (say, lat 1st, early 2nd century)? I have seen representations of both a round shield (parma?) and a scutum. I suppose it's possible they used both, but what is more likely based on the evidence that we have?
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
As they fight in front of the army and don't need their hands for anything else then to handle weaponry I would go for a regular infantry scutum.
ALA I BATAVORUM
The centurion shown in battle on the Arch of Orange uses the same scutum as his legionaries. I don't *think* there are any actual Roman depictions of centurions using distinctive shields, it seems to be a modern idea.

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Thanks for the info guys. I have seen Centurions in video games and other depictions using a round shield :roll: . I always thought this was apocryphal and you guys confirmed it. :mrgreen:
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
I would never use a videogame as source for this kind of stuff. Same goes for Hollywood movies.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I think I would have to agree with Jurjen on this and go for the Scutum, for as a soldier who is in the front he needs all the cover he can get from all that is coming at him.( common sence rules I think !!! )
Brian Stobbs
Sometimes the grave stele of centurions depict just the insignia of their rank: scale or mail lorica, transverse crest, and vinestock. Never a distinctive shield.
Pecunia non olet
As a certain 'centurion' found out , a scutum is definately better protection that a vine stick...especially when dealing with irate Caledonian womenfolk!! :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel