Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd c. CE Breast Plate
Hi folks!
Made this tonight, thought I´d share. It is based on a piece from Hungary. Other than most plates this one doesn´t have repousse decoration, just engraved and punched. I´ll make the second piece when I have some time left... ^^
Materials: brass, tin.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Wow, wonderful Christian. Just awesome. Thanks for sharing.

How did you do the tinning? Using a tinning paste?
ALA I BATAVORUM
No, I applied flux and used a stick of tin, which i heated. Takes forever... ^^ but you can work very minute. Smile I´ll post some better pics this afternoon, it was dark already, yesterday...
Christian K.

Finished... Smile Looks quite different in sunshine... ^^
Christian K.

very nice work looks authentic ^_^ props for you Big Grin
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
wonderful Confusedhock: looks very good, Christian Big Grin 8)
Christian. Would it be correct to say that the fixing blocks have a "T" shape at the rear of the plate, and did you have to cut slots on both sides of the holes that accommodate them or did you make the crossbar of the T shorter and only one slot needing to be cut to get them thro' the plate ?
I ask this because I remember having to think on this some time back when I had a go at making one of these plates myself.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks guzs! It was a good alternation to all the shields I currently have to make... :wink:

Brian: The Originals all have just one slot, all of the ones I know of on the lower side. Whn you´ve annealed the area next to it, carefully bend it upwards. Then push in the one end of the T until the other end is right over the hole. Push downwards, then move the whole thing upwards. When the central part which connects the t-bar (I hope it´s understandable, but my Engkish seems not to be sufficient here) to the rest of the fixing block is in its final position, turn it into the lock-position (horizontal). Then close the slit. Finished! Smile
Should I make a drawing?
Christian K.

Christian. I follow you very well indeed and understand for as I mentioned I have had a go at one of these in the past thank you for your reply.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Should I make a drawing?
if possible, yes please Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3rd cent. breast plate Publius Aelius Lucius 8 2,077 12-31-2009, 02:08 AM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius