Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cleaning equipment?
i purchased my Gallic G helmet today and i was wandering how often i should clean it and what should i clean it with?? i have brass polisher
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
I don't like to use modern finishing products and of course it's always better to prevent oxidation over removing it. I use a mixture of olive oil and bees wax to protect all my equipment. When you don't use the helmet this coat will do fine for a longer period. For re-enactment I try to refresh the coat every event, so it all stays nice.

How often you really need to clean is just how bright you want the helmet to look and how you use it (only inside your home on a stand, or wear it often, much hands on it, etc). Also weather conditions are something to take into account.
ALA I BATAVORUM
i plan on wearing it for reenactments and for when i make movies... how much would u say for me to use the bees wax and olive oil *mesurements* :?:
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
I've to ask my centurio for the exact ratio of that mixture, as we make it for the whole group at once, but I thought it was a 1:1 mixture. I think I use about a theecup of it in a year for my legionary impression. But last year I had more shows, so I used more.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:I've to ask my centurio for the exact ratio of that mixture, as we make it for the whole group at once, but I thought it was a 1:1 mixture. I think I use about a theecup of it in a year for my legionary impression. But last year I had more shows, so I used more.
ahhh does anything else go into that mixture?
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Dan, if you're ok with using modern stuff and have no issue going to reenactment hell, brasso is fine. It's a light enough abrasive to remove most tarnish, but anything worse and you may need something a bit stronger. Once you're done polishing it, I tend to use mineral oil on my gear now. Just a little bit on a cloth to give your metal bits a nice coating and that's all you need.

Legion: TBD
Quote:i purchased my Gallic G helmet today and i was wandering how often i should clean it and what should i clean it with??
Scotch Brite pads on the steel, used dry, and Brasso on the brass
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
well i have brasso do i purchase the other stuff at a local hardware store or like walmart or something?
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
The whole point of my mixture isn't that it's 'more authentic' but more about preventing rust. (and it's cheaper then brasso, too Big Grin ) (okay and third, it's more authentic)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Ohhh...yeah, use scotchbrite pads. That'll leave a nice satin finish vs the ultra shiny one.

Jurjen, do you have to heat the beeswax first or does the olive oil dissolve it?

Legion: TBD
Quote:Ohhh...yeah, use scotchbrite pads. That'll leave a nice satin finish vs the ultra shiny one.

Jurjen, do you have to heat the beeswax first or does the olive oil dissolve it?

You need to heat it when mixing.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:
Magnus:1uutuht3 Wrote:Ohhh...yeah, use scotchbrite pads. That'll leave a nice satin finish vs the ultra shiny one.

You need to heat it when mixing.
how much of it do you use for example 1 cup olive oil 4 3/4 table spoon bees wax?
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
I still didn't get any response from my centurio, but I think to remember it is a 1:1 (volume) mixture.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:I still didn't get any response from my centurio, but I think to remember it is a 1:1 (volume) mixture.
ok when u find out let me know ^_^
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R