Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kalkriese sword
avete omnes

this is the my reconstruction of the famous kalkriese sword,i wanted use the same materials of the original,full silver and two "Agate" stones and one "granato". I wonted immagine that in the top of the scabbard was one plate in opus interassile.

valete omnes
PierPaolo siercovich
Nice work!
Regards,

Miha Franca
"Balnea, vina, Venus corrumpunt corpora nostra; sed vitam faciunt balnea, vina, Venus."
Tiberius Claudius Secundus
www.vespesjan.eu
PierPaolo. I am looking at your Kalkriese Sword which is very good and would like to know have you made this longer than a normal Gladius, I myself have made this sword and I made it in the fashion of a Caesarian style at about 6-7cm longer than a gladius.
There was also a Silver Denarius found with this sword and a few people who have also made it have used this coin in it's decoration as I have done.
I have a picture of the scabbard that I have to sort out so that I can put it on line soon, infact I have the archaeological article about this sword and will send you a copy when I make a file of it.
Brian Stobbs
Pierpaolo

Very nice reconstruction, congratulations.

Brian,

If you can find the article about the scabbard , can you sent me a copy too, im very interested

Thanks in advance

maarten
Maarten Dolmans

Marcus Claudius Asclepiades

COHORS XV VOL. C. R.
CLASSIS AUGUSTA GERMANICA

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.paxromana.nl">www.paxromana.nl
ave Brian

I had possibility to use for do this sword one small book , one detailed studio about this sword,and in this book the archeologist writed that the blade was long 58 cm.for the denarius you have reasons,i did this denarius in silver but....how to put on the scabbard? and after...they found the denarius near the scabbard we are sure that was ON the scabbard?if was there...how to attach one denarius odfsilver on one scabbard of skin?

vale Munazio
PierPaolo siercovich
Maarten. I shall indeed give you a copy however I have yet to do some copy of it and make a file of it but will try to speed it up.
The coin I refer to is a Denarius of Avgvstvs and where it has been used on the sword the complete obverse has been removed, the reverse has a chariot in quadriga with caesari above and avgvsto below.
When I checked with one of my coin books I found that the obverse had S.P.Q.R. PAREN. CONS. SVO. with an eagle robes and wreath, the ornamenta or consular robes were the emblems of the chief power in the state.
Brian Stobbs
Nice work Pier,

I also have seen Brians interpretation. It was a very nice piece.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Pier,
Very good work. What width and length is the blade? Are the proportions based on the original specimen?
Pecunia non olet
ave

like I said for this sword i was luky beacuse I have one complete study about this sword,the measure of this sword are 4,8 cm large and 58 cm lenght.

vale Munazio
PierPaolo siercovich
PierPaolo. Here is a link to the picture of the Kalkriese scabbard however I cannot find the piture of the sword at this time.
The other scabbard is a variation of the Tiberius where I did the decoration in silver sheet on a leather background, this I did as a request by the man who wanted it that way.

http://www.northumberland-computers.com/sextima/sw1.jpg
Brian Stobbs
All wonderful swords! Hope some day I'll be able to make such a scabbard. Great jobs PierPaolo and Brian.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Excellent piece of work Munazio Big Grin D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
John M. I don't think that any measurements can be given for this sword for as far as I can gather no sword was found only the Silver fragments from the scabbard. When one studies papers about the scabbard there are 1-1 pictures of cross bands, and looking at these the gap between silver rivets used in these would indicate that the blade may have only been around 47mm-48mm width.
However as to how long the blade may have been also becomes a matter of conjecture, that is why when I made my copy I decided to go for a blade of Caesarian period just a few cm longer than a Gladius.
Brian Stobbs