Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome Total War- Battle strategies
I generally play as the Romans (Julii). I like to put my missile troops in front of my heavy infantry with 2 or 3 units of lighter infantry who throw the pilum standing behind. The missiles fire/throw their missiles then retreat behind the heavy infantry. The heavy infantry then throw their pilum if they have any and the infantry units behind them can fire at will. With this method the enemy if attacking in waves will often run away before they've even attacked my men.
I have my cavalry on the left and right flanks as evenly distributed as i can but with the general on the right. Traditionally the enemies left flank is weaker that their right.
If the enemy dont run after the first engagement then the heavy infantry engage and when the lighter infantry run out of missiles they engage. They're less tired than the other troops by this point so make up for them not being so good. The missile troops meanwhile attack the enemy flanks and the cavalry who generally win against any enemy cavalry fall into the enemies rear. The general I usually set to chase anyone fleeing.
I usually only fight battles where I'm outnumbered so if the enemy go for a long battle line to try and outfalnk me I put my troops in a formation a bit like the Alexander one used a bve but with both flanks indented and the cavalry protecting their flanks. This generally confuses the enemy unless their generals particularly good. I did this against the Spanish when they had over 3000 men and I had just under 900 and they only killed 28 of my men (my missiles killed more of my men).
I once attacked the SPQR general with some siege catapults and it actually killed him. That was probably a complete fluke but I think I deserved it since the catapults had been useless in previous battles.
Jeremy Latcham
Quae caret ora cruore nostro?

Messages In This Thread
Rome Total War- Battle strategies - by marvises - 04-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Re: Rome Total War- Battle strategeys - by Nearco - 04-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Re: Rome Total War- Battle strategeys - by Aquilinus - 05-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Re: Rome Total War- Battle strategies - by Nearco - 05-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Re: Rome Total War- Battle strategies - by Nearco - 06-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Re: Rome Total War- Battle strategeys - by edward benedict - 02-04-2012, 05:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Players needed Rome Total War Warrior of Italia 7 3,272 11-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Stug50
  Rome 2 Total Realism 3 released JaM 2 5,919 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Timus
  Rome: Total War II rononmaximus 250 91,345 10-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: womble67