Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome Total War- Battle strategies
Quote:
Mythos_Ruler:vbv8hgdk Wrote:I believe Total Realism focuses on the Republican era, while Surrectum focuses on the early empire.
oh im staying with surrectum

Yeah, I might try Surrectum. I like the look of Surrectum's large unit sizes.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Quote:
marvises:1u5o9uy0 Wrote:
Mythos_Ruler:1u5o9uy0 Wrote:I believe Total Realism focuses on the Republican era, while Surrectum focuses on the early empire.
oh im staying with surrectum

Yeah, I might try Surrectum. I like the look of Surrectum's large unit sizes.
yeah its very nice they have a lot of new legions its Very nice ^_^
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Quote:I usually play as Macedonians, so I try to use Alexandrian tactics as much as possible. My usual pre-battle setup is a modified Gaugamela battle line.

[Image: mythosrtrl.png]

This is great, I like to play with hellenic factions too. Anyway I play vanilla and I don't have hispapists, or any other good infantery to cover the back of the phalanx. well, it depends of the faction...

With the seleucids, I use a long single line of phalanx, covered by legionaries with mixed cavalry units in the flanks (hetairoi and cataphractes). I also have found that chariots are very useful. I charge with chariots first to break the enemy line, once broken the chariots return back and a second heavy cavalry charge is all you need to break the best infantery. When I play with greeks, light cabalry and heavy peltast are basics!!

My english is a bit rusty, sorry for it
Javier Sanchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Quote:
Mythos_Ruler:2n0hw4le Wrote:I usually play as Macedonians, so I try to use Alexandrian tactics as much as possible. My usual pre-battle setup is a modified Gaugamela battle line.

[Image: mythosrtrl.png]

This is great, I like to play with hellenic factions too. Anyway I play vanilla and I don't have hispapists, or any other good infantery to cover the back of the phalanx. well, it depends of the faction...

With the seleucids, I use a long single line of phalanx, covered by legionaries with mixed cavalry units in the flanks (hetairoi and cataphractes). I also have found that chariots are very useful. I charge with chariots first to break the enemy line, once broken the chariots return back and a second heavy cavalry charge is all you need to break the best infantery. When I play with greeks, light cabalry and heavy peltast are basics!!

My english is a bit rusty, sorry for it

very nice strategy never really use Greek fations or chariots
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Scythed chariots plus cataphracts and you will rule the world.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Scythed chariots plus cataphracts and you will rule the world.
i already own half of the known world as it is only by auxilia and Legionari Vetranii and equites :twisted:
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Thanks, David, those tips you gave really helped. I'm getting much better. I've actually managed to expand some. I've made it back into Gaul via Spain, and even made it up to the Po Valley in northern Italy. I almost have all of Asia Minor too.

I still haven't been able to find a formation that seems to work semi-consistently, though. Some things seem to work very well and some don't. I'm playing as the Scipii so don't have chariots and the like.

I've been fighting one Brutti general for some time. Each battle they rout but he always manages to escape. When I send my Legionary calvary after him, they can't catch him. This has happened about three times so far. Are light skirmisher calvary and quicker?

Also, how in the world do you hit anything with heavy artillery? I invested quite a bit in them but find them useless on the battlefield. I don't think I have had a single hit so far, but the enemy seems to be a much better shot! I've tried to let it "fire at will" and then tried to aim it myself. Still no luck.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
It takes the artillery a couple of shots to range in on the enemy. If they make a hit on a packed formation, it's devastating. Two hits and they will often lose morale, and might rout, particularly with fire shot. Experience helps, so if you have artillery, make sure you use them every time you can. Even a couple of volleys will improve their skill. Or so it seems.

Fleeing infantry can often outrun horse cavalry pursuing. Irritating.

You might try posting a unit of cavalry far ahead of the general, between him and the nearest border. If he flees, try to attack him from the border side, and he might turn and let your other pursuers catch up. If he doesn't flee, but is engaged by some other unit, bring the cavalry to attack from the other side. IF he's surrounded, you stand a better chance of getting him.

Often, the general escapes anyhow. If you can manage a unit of infantry between the enemy general and the border, they'll have a better chance, but they also stand to get devoured before the time you want to spring the attack. It's a gamble.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
what happens if u get every settlement?
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Quote:what happens if u get every settlement?

You get a gold star! :twisted:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
oh really hahahahhaha i think i have done it once and a lot of rebel settlements popped up
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Best strategy? Cheat. Always.
I usually either give myself unlimited cash (10 mill will usually do the trick) and outbuild and outrecruit the rest.
Or I'll go for elephants and cataphracts. Ever seen a Sassanid army 'liberate' Londinium? Droll. Very relaxing, which is why I play first and foremost. :lol:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Best strategy? Cheat. Always.
I usually either give myself unlimited cash (10 mill will usually do the trick) and outbuild and outrecruit the rest.
Or I'll go for elephants and cataphracts. Ever seen a Sassanid army 'liberate' Londinium? Droll. Very relaxing, which is why I play first and foremost. :lol:
i do the "add_money 999999" and the "process_cq Rome" and "add_population Rome 99999" :oops: im a dirty little cheater :twisted:
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Cheat, hmmmmmmm! :? mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yeah, those cheats are just way too tempting I'm afraid. Ruins the game for me... but I can't stop using them! :oops: :mrgreen:
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Players needed Rome Total War Warrior of Italia 7 3,189 11-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Stug50
  Rome 2 Total Realism 3 released JaM 2 5,867 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Timus
  Rome: Total War II rononmaximus 250 89,119 10-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: womble67