Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wool/linen wide enough for long sleeves
In the over a dozen examples of complete tunics ive examined (4th-7th c.) only one has had sleeves sewn on. In the Roman era most tunicae were purpose woven. That said, nobody purpose weaves tunicae anymore, so I was trying to replicate it the best way I could think of.

Certainly I think a poorer man may have had a tunic that was not purpose woven, there are certainly records of raw bolts of cloth being purchased. Sooo.... on the advice that it will simply be a waste of fabric to cut out huge Ts and that ill end up with a top seam I guess ill just sew on arms like a normal person and not get myself all contorted over this. I think maybe im being a bit overzealous here.
on that note though, the surviving intact tunicae we have are mostly from burials like those in the bagawat cemetary. Most of these are not "poor" folks and a burial would probably want to be in one's best clothing. I am just trying to copy a specific surviving example and by no means am I implying that general construction on tunicae was incredibly rare or anything of the sort. (nor am i implying anything as to how common it may have been)

does somebody have the actual text of a record of raw cloth being ordered? id like to see what kind and color it was.
aka., John Shook

Messages In This Thread
Re: wool/linen wide enough for long sleeves - by TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX - 04-04-2009, 11:59 PM