Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metalworking book suggestion
I'm looking for some reading material to get me started in metal working, towards the goal of eventually having a small forge (eventually being in 2-3 years off when I quit hopping around between college and work). I've done metalworking as far as maille, bashing brass for a scutum boss, and even the work needed for a Lorica Segmentata, but almost all of that is cold working. I now want to start learning more about hot working metal, heating and quinching and hardening techniques. Whats too much or too little etc.

Im not currently interested in re-enacting as much as I am in reconstructing, weather its European, Roman, Greek, or whatever. So having had my fill of maille, and done a seg and scutum recently, I think I've gone about as far as I can without knowing a bit more. So I'm wanting to know if you guys have any favorites for this topic.
Vance Kirk
Ave!

On boards such as the Armour Archive, THE metalworking book to own is "TOMAR", Techniques of Medieval Armor Reproduction, by Brian Price, 1581605366 (paperback). Yes, it focuses on the 14th century, but the techniques are applicable for most anything. I really ought to pick up a copy myself!

Happy armoring!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Thanks!, I've been through Armour Archives sight on occasion, but never spent a whole lot of time browsing their forums, My recent projects have all been Roman oriented so RAT's been my main info source recently. (Recent being a measure of projects and not actual time)
Vance Kirk
I would suggest Theophilus "on Divers Arts"...

A lot of information...
D.R.Heisey
The ART Of Blacksmithing
Alex W Bealer,
ISBN 0-7858-0395-5 Published edition 1995.
Origonaly published 1969 it has a good start ie forge building-making the tools, bellows and so on. Hope this is a start for you Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Here are the favorite metalworking books I have:

The Art of Making Armour, Rob Valentine. American Literary Press, Inc.
The Complete Modern Blacksmith, Alexander G. Weygers. Ten Speed Press
The Blacksmith, Ironworker and Farrier. Aldren A. Watson, Norton. The illustrations alone are wonderful, and he gives instructions for building a forge including bellows.
Blacksmithing: Basics for the Homestead, Joe DeLaRonde. Gibbs Smith.
The Complete Handbook of Sand Casting, CW Ammen. McGraw Hill. My blacksmith recommended this one.

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/ is a website I've posted here before, and may come in handy. Lots of tiny forges, gas forges, good links, and tons of examples of the work of others.

Hope this info helps.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Niello and metalworking tools Latinitas 1 931 06-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Latinitas