Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porto Novo Gladius reconstruction
Hello!

Yesterday i have finished an attempt of reconstruction of a Porto Novo type gladius. I have followed a interpretation of two tinned plates, covering the rear and front part of sheath instead the side guttering.

The blade i have used is the deepeeka ones, and the rest is made by myself. As there are two tutorials of sword making, i only will put the pictures, and if you have questions, please, dont hesitate to ask!

The sword in its scabbard:
[Image: DSC08418.jpg]
The chape:
[Image: DSC08420.jpg]
The troat:
[Image: DSC08419.jpg]
It's a little dirty, i have to make more polish and cleaning...Tomorrow...
And this is a comparation between mine and the real one drawing.

[Image: comparacion.jpg]

Well, mine is a little "fat"...
Fantastic work again Cesar!

Legion: TBD
Thanks! I'm happy with it because i'ts a sword diferent of the often recreated Mainz and Pompei models. There are some thing that are hypotetical, as i don't know if the real one have the metalic valves of the scabbard tinned or not. I followed the contrasting silver-gold colours seen in the Mainz exemplars. And the point is not metal-covered, so you can see the leather of the sheath. (probably i will put some colour there...)
Lvcivs again another great piece of work Big Grin ( D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Hello César,

I like it as much as the Mainz, the thing is that the result is not as spectacular because the original sword is not as spectacular. I have really liked that the ornaments at the tip are not made of cut metal sheet, instead you have made them as in the orginal from a thick string opened. Again a well sorted and pleasant work.

By the way: Portonovo sword, Pompeii gladius, Kalkriese sword, Tiberio gladius, Mainz sword... this looks like the "Idus Martias"
José Manuel Pastor

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pompei gladius reconstruction LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 14 3,265 02-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Porto Vecchio, France and Vindonissa Belt Plates Doc 2 1,375 04-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar