Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
an odd helmet
fine :wink: ; no reconstruction , everything is original.
Some other images of the lorica. You can see a semi-cleaned piece

[Image: cimg1913piccola.jpg]

[Image: cimg1917piccola.jpg]

and here where the finding is from
[Image: tracia.jpg]
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
That is an excellent picture, I ca nsee now they are riveted.
Sorry, It was just tha tthey looked odd in the other shot, and I was wondering if they were actually butted! That is cool. 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Just because they were sold together does not mean they came from the same location. It is possible that they are from different helmets, as the fragment is not clearly attached to the main piece.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Quote:The city of VIDIN mentioned in the discussion is located abt 15 km from the roman city of RATIARIA or RATSIARIA. This is the fomer capital of lower moesia province. Location of 2 legions (Dacian war campaign started there). A cultural hub no doubt and one of the most important roman sites on the danube. It was also home to the danube protection fleet which is probably where the name derives from !

Unfortunately this is also the most (publicly known) ransacked and looted place in bulgaria. If you google for ratsiaria or ratiaria you get plenty of info. Check wikepedia too - it mentions that up to 10000 (!) people were looting this place _the entire village of archar was/is living off the site. To get a real impression you should google for archar - there is an integrated google world map which allows you to observe the magnitude of destruction. Effectively the whole city (incl wall foundations) has been ripped to shreds by bulldozers and caterpillars!!!!!!! The site of the old town is east of the village not far from the river.

The probability that this material originates from the site or nearby is fairly high. In the 90s local scientists found dozens of plundered graves - the looters had arranged the skulls into pyramids!!!!

Today the ancient Roman settlement is regularly raided and destroyed by treasure-hunters.

http://news.guide-bulgaria.com/NW/Vidin ... _Ratsiaria
I remember seeing a documentary on the subject a year or 2 ago.

Sad that such a rich site is left to be looted.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
wow that is very strange the shape of it looks like it would be a thigh plate piece from the middle ages but i don't know a lot it is very tall for a helmet but yeah that is strange never seen anything like that before i am stumped...
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Hello!

It's Damianus to the herculiani's group. I'm very interested by this helmet somebody know supplementary informations about this finding. It is possible to see again the pictures of this helmet with nasal or there are definitively lost? Thanks by step.