Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
an odd helmet
Some days ago I had the opportuny to look at an helmet having an absolutely odd feature.

It was found in Thrace , togheter several fragments of a lorica hamata -with still embedded some small fragments of bones - and horse fitments. Surely everything owned to a horseman, dead in a battle.
Although only the rear half is surviving , togheter some pieces of the front , it seems without doubt a late type (niederbieber).

The strange feature is that it has the nose pieces :!:

That is not a medieval insertion , although fixed by rivets, because the helmet has the part over eyes rounded to accept the piece.

Beside, another one observatio: this type of helmet are normally linked to infantry , but in this case the evidence is quite different, it was wore by an horseman.

here the rear
[Image: dscn1732e.jpg]

the nose protection
[Image: dscn1735h.jpg]

and the view of some fragments
[Image: dscn1738s.jpg]

As far i can see , it is the only roman helmet armed with this protection .
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
late Roman helmets seem to have noseguards some times (although I´m no late roman expert).

See for instance the Deurne, the Berkasovo, the budapest and the Biberwier helmets.

Maybe you want to have a look at (and there must be others, but this one I have and is a nice read):
Christan Miks - Vom Prunkstuck zum Altmetall - Ein Depot spatromischer Helmteile aus Koblenz
ALA I BATAVORUM
There is an other example of a Niederbieber type helmet worked over/changed in Late antiquity. I have to check back home where it is published, though.
Both pieces are very interesting in terms of how long such equipment was in use. Context might be intereting, though. What kind of fibula was found there, if at all?
The Niederbieber helmets seem to have been worn by infantry mostly, some finds ar in clear equestrian context, though. In regard of the large neck-guard a dangerous endeavour, though.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
That would be an interesting helmet.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
A possible example of a hybrid/crossover piece, amended to suit latest trends and equipment. [Image: hybrid.jpg]
It is possible that the helmet lost its brow guard over time and was replaced with the nasal instead.

There was another recent find in Poitiers, France of such a helmet which had been fitted with an Intercisa style ridge. (Also alluded to in Christan Miks - Vom Prunkstuck zum Altmetall - Ein Depot spatromischer Helmteile aus Koblenz)

I believe that the French depot find is to be published this year.
Oh: Were there fragments from the cheek pieces? Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:A great example of a hybrid/crossover piece, amended to suit latest trends and equipment. It would be nice to see a reproduction!

nice reproduction , but not exactly the some; the noseguard is rivetted on a straight edge, as after addend.

What century would be this kind of helmet with the noseguard?
Marco

I know It was all I could do in a short time with some pictures I have at work! :wink:

We see nasals appearing in the late Third Century.
Adrian,

Is the "helmet from France" you are referring to the crested helmet found in Poitiers, France in a destruction layer dated to the 270s AD?

I was under the impression that this was a regular Intercisa style helmet. You appear to know more about it. Is there any additional information you can share with us?
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Only that it is a Niederbieber type fitted with a crest ridge Jens.

Back to the subject of the original post.. Marcos, what proof do you have that these pieces are indeed from the same helmet? I have been informed that this 'lot' was on ebay some time ago as unrestored fragments.

I ask as generally speaking, finds emerging from Bulgaria that end up on ebay are looted, therefore no context.
Quote:Is the "helmet from France" you are referring to the crested helmet found in Poitiers, France in a destruction layer dated to the 270s AD?

I was under the impression that this was a regular Intercisa style helmet. You appear to know more about it. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Only that it is a Niederbieber type fitted with a crest ridge Jens. Christian should be publishing it later 2009.

Back to the subject of the original post.. Marcos, what proof do you have that these pieces are indeed from the same helmet? I have been informed that this 'lot' was on ebay some time ago as unrestored fragments.

I ask as generally speaking, large and important finds like these emerging from Bulgaria that (for strange reasons) end up on ebay are looted, therefore no context.
Quote:Back to the subject of the original post.. Marcos, what proof do you have that these pieces are indeed from the same helmet? I have been informed that this 'lot' was on ebay some time ago as unrestored fragments.

well , I can ask to the owner, whick is a friend of the discoverer , to have detailed informations .
Until now i know that the helmet , the lorica hamata fragments , and the horse fitting were found all togheter in the some place.
Beside I have compared all the pieces of the helmet and indeed they come from the some item; some tickness, some oxidation , some kind of iron, and in some portion they seem correpond in the edge, although not well due the serious oxidation.

Some other images of other findings

[Image: dscn1748g.jpg]

[Image: dscn1739.jpg]

[Image: dscn1740.jpg]
Marco

I'm curious.
The small bunch of rings look quite different to the large clump of mail, which looks very much as I have seen other authentic mail finds displayed in museums.
Are they butted? I can actually see some shiny metal. Tinned? or...

Also the bit rig, is that a modern reconstruction of the center piece?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
the small one was initially almost in the some shape of the big , but was possible to clean and disband it. For all the others this is impossible , they are by now mineralized.
Not tinned , it just the flash shine.

I have called the friend of mine , and he confims that everything come from Bulgaria and from the some place. it was a one finding near the location of a roman garrison .

What does "bit rig" means , Gaius? I can't understand :oops:
Marco

Sorry, I am not so hot on my terminology....apologies.
The bit part of the horse bit, the bar that passes through the horses mouth.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel