Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamata for low class Bucellarius
Ive decided to portray a poorer Buccelarius c. 460 AD serving a latifundia owner in southern Gual.

I have full armour, but prefer to portray the poorer section of Society. Should I then leave my Hamata at home and just wear a Helmet? Shield spear and axe I assume was a common combination for weaponry.

for a poor man should also just stick with solid resist dyed tunic decorations?

Also, suggestions for a bag of some sort to keep possessions in would be appreciated.
aka., John Shook
Hi John,

Well, since you are a buccellarius that means you're in the pay of a rich man. So why portray a poor bodyguard if that's a contradictio interminis?

If you want to portray a poor soldier that would make you a limitaneus or a town militiaman, something which would have come up around the mid-5th c. You could have a Coptic tunic, painted ecorations or classier ones, but not under your armour. Which, indeed, could be a hamata if you're a buccellarius, but otherwise you'd probablyt have no body armour.

Bags are not easily attested for the Late Roman period, but we do have evidence for bed-rolls: a blanket/cloak with possessions rolled into them and tied over the shoulder.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
So if I want to portray the lowest class of soldier id more than likely be in a unit of Limitanei?

In the case of limitanei should I/can I wear my helmet, or would they have left that at home as well? and would a spangenhelm then be likely or would it more likely be an old ridge helm?
Sorry for all these basic questions,im trying to negotiate what bits of gear to wear or leave out here.
aka., John Shook
I cant seem to find this subject covered, many of the coptic tunicae ive run into when reconstructed seem to have the sleeves only hanging to the elbow or a bit below it, even on an authentically sized man (i tried one on a 5' 6" man). Is this proper and common? In addition, ive also run into depictions of men in short sleeved tunics all the way through to the 8th c. (elevation of the emperor scene especially), this leads me to believe that both long and half/short sleeved tunics existed side by side in hotter weather. Please correct me if im wrong.

I just realized you said painted decorations, How Common were painted tunic decorations in your opinion? I am thinking they may have been quite common amongst the lower classes. The tunicae we have surviving are primarily from burials and not those of the poor, and I have examined at least one tunic fragment with decorations resist dyed and another fragment with something akin to painted decoration (looked inky almost).
For my impression I think im sticking with a long sleeved tunic with embroidered clavii and segmentae, I just like the look i guess.
aka., John Shook
Quote: So if I want to portray the lowest class of soldier id more than likely be in a unit of Limitanei?
Indeed. Even poorer, and you're the town watch. :wink:

Quote:In the case of limitanei should I/can I wear my helmet, or would they have left that at home as well? and would a spangenhelm then be likely or would it more likely be an old ridge helm?
Sorry for all these basic questions,im trying to negotiate what bits of gear to wear or leave out here.
No problem mate.
Why would any soldier leave their helmet at home? The moanings of vegetius about armour being discarded can be read as political fables - we know armour was still being worn, as well as helmets. A soldier who willingly discards armour is mad. Armour is for your protection.

Quote:I cant seem to find this subject covered, many of the coptic tunicae ive run into when reconstructed seem to have the sleeves only hanging to the elbow or a bit below it, even on an authentically sized man (i tried one on a 5' 6" man). Is this proper and common? In addition, ive also run into depictions of men in short sleeved tunics all the way through to the 8th c. (elevation of the emperor scene especially), this leads me to believe that both long and half/short sleeved tunics existed side by side in hotter weather. Please correct me if im wrong.
You're wrong. Read Graham Sumner's books or have a look at my website. Big Grin Tunics had long, narrow sleaves. later fashion indeed shows shorter sleeves (but much later), worn over a long-sleeved tunic.

Quote:I just realized you said painted decorations, How Common were painted tunic decorations in your opinion? I am thinking they may have been quite common amongst the lower classes. The tunicae we have surviving are primarily from burials and not those of the poor, and I have examined at least one tunic fragment with decorations resist dyed and another fragment with something akin to painted decoration (looked inky almost).
For my impression I think im sticking with a long sleeved tunic with embroidered clavii and segmentae, I just like the look i guess.
I think that for poorer folk, decorations would not have been common apart from on their 'sunday tunic'. A warrior, when not rich enough to own a set of decorated tunics, would not risk his only (costly!) Coptic tunic under his armour. I think your plan is a good one. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi John,
This is also precisely the period Im re-enacting with my fellow Letavi. I guess your interrogations about tunics have been well answered.

Our main weapons are scutii and hastae, and as side weapons we use either axes, sax or spathae.
For helmets, we variate between spangenhelms, ridge helmets (which were old fashionned by that time but we are Britons and it's clear that they remained in use at least in Britain) or even simple 'bowl helmets' which were probably quite common but are not often reproduced. Here one from Vienna:
[Image: concesti26pc.jpg]

As for body armor, it is your choice! In my point of view, a soldier in a limitanei unit (still around in Gaul up to circa 540 according to Procopius) or a town militiaman would not be rich enough to get a lorica.
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
Quote:Bags are not easily attested for the Late Roman period, but we do have evidence for bed-rolls: a blanket/cloak with possessions rolled into them and tied over the shoulder.

I'm very much still learning here- Vortigern, could you point me in the right direction for the evidence here?

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Ok I see, the short sleeve over long is something that comes in arond the byzantine era of heraclius for soldiers, I was mislead by an improperly dated frescoe honestly. Thats what one gets for going to crappy websites.

I should think a bowl helmet probably needs more representation. does anyone know an armourer who can make custom helmets? I have mine but my comrade has none.

Discarding helmets seems silly to say the least, so youre right. Ive got a spangenhelm based on the construction of the ravenna helm, cheekpieces and nasal etc. it seems to fit the period perfectly. Ill bet in reality this helmet would have then been passed through the family for at least 100 more years.

Im going to go out on a limb and say that for fatigue duty id probably wear a completely undecorated tunic. Why dirty a good one? So ill have one decorated and one undecorated.
Thank you all, I shall be in late roman gear by summer god willing!
aka., John Shook