Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrowhead measurements
Salvete Omnes!

I am currently researching Roman arrowheads, trying to find accurate dimensions both in size and in weight to the different types used. Who has had the oppertunity to photograph originals with a scalebar or has accurate drawings with a proper scale given. Then there is literature, has a study of Roman arrowheads been undertaken as to what style was used in what time where? Also here input is very welcome. Please mail pictures and the like directly to r.wimmersAThotmail.com or stick them on the forum for all to see.

Much thanks in advance!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I have the Masada Report which has a fair few arrow heads in IIRC - would that be of interest?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Hi Barry,

Yes, please! I want to collect as much data on weight and size as possible on different types of arrowheads. If someone has some measurement info on the Oberammergau trilobates, that would be great as well. These have modeled in a artikel on manufacture of trilobate arrowheads, are shown in that artikel at 1:1 scale, but all I have is a photograph of the artikel and thus the scale is lost. A pointer to a publication on the Xanten arrowheads would also be great.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Ok Robert - I'll deal with that over the Dubai weekend (Friday/Saturday).
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Robert, I bought some tri-lobate heads from Cezary, which I believe he said were roman types. Perhaps he could shed some light too?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I am currently researching Roman arrowheads, trying to find accurate dimensions both in size and in weight to the different types used.
Vindolanda produced a few tanged-and-barbed arrowheads (e.g. cat. no. 3498: 45mm length, incorporating 26mm tang; 10mm max width; 2g weight) as well as the "trilobate" tanged examples (e.g. cat. no. 5412: 71mm length, incorporating 21mm tang; 14mm max width; 3.5g weight). There are also rectangular-section tanged arrowheads (e.g. cat. no. 5409: 75mm length, incorporating 12mm tang; 13g weight) which may have been designed for a light arrow-shooting catapult, but are normally considered to be for a heavy war-bow. (The "classic" catapult arrowheads are all socketed with pyramidal heads.) Sorry, no pictures, Robert.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thanks, Duncan, should you find pics, most obliged! Thanks Byron, but couldn't find any pics of arrowheads on his site.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers