Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Persian archer equipment
John, looks like a primary release (thumb and first joint of the first finger gripping the end of the arrow. Either that or a variety of the Flemish two finger release. According to Osprey's book on Parthians and Sassanians, the thumb ring was invented by the Parthians, whereas the primary release and finger releases were quite common at that time period.
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan
Sean mentioned it earlier in the thread, and I haven't seen examples of soldiers carrying the C-bow while wearing anything other than robes (what modern writers call "court dress"). That's not to say it wasn't a battle weapon; I just wonder how common it was on the field.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Quote:John, looks like a primary release (thumb and first joint of the first finger gripping the end of the arrow. Either that or a variety of the Flemish two finger release. According to Osprey's book on Parthians and Sassanians, the thumb ring was invented by the Parthians, whereas the primary release and finger releases were quite common at that time period.

I believe the thumb-ring was invented long before the Parthians were Parthians. It must go back to the beginning of stepppe archery. Big Grin The Bagdad Museum pictograph shows the archer's finger angled downward, not upward-outward as would be used in the standard steppe thumb-draw. I don't think it or the illustrated bow are helpful technically. In fact the bow looks like something dad would make for his five-year-old son.

The bow I mentioned earlier arrived from Grozer. It is SO smooth and accurate, a #40 Hungarian in black buffalo horn and sinew covered with birch bark. There's a lot to be said for the "old way" of making things. 8)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb