Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Le Guerrier Gaulois" from Franck MATHIEU
Maybe not so interesting for most of the reeanctors here because this book is written in french, but in my opinion one of the best books showing 16 different celtic warrios/nobles from the hallstatt period to the romon conquest.
The book describes every Soldier with 6-7 photos (one big and 5-6 detail pictures) plus a very good describtion of the eqipement(just in french) with place of the findings etc. The rest of the book shows the different weapons developement like sword, shield and pictures of a reconstruted chariot. One leatherarmour in the book are not so well done and some warriors wear to much pattern clothes, but overall great!

http://www.archeoart.org/couvlivre.html#
Quote:Maybe not so interesting for most of the reeanctors here because this book is written in french, but in my opinion one of the best books showing 16 different celtic warrios/nobles from the hallstatt period to the romon conquest.
The book describes every Soldier with 6-7 photos (one big and 5-6 detail pictures) plus a very good describtion of the eqipement(just in french) with place of the findings etc. The rest of the book shows the different weapons developement like sword, shield and pictures of a reconstruted chariot. One leatherarmour in the book are not so well done and some warriors wear to much pattern clothes, but overall great!

http://www.archeoart.org/couvlivre.html#

Thanks Patrick for showing us, do you have an idea of the prise?
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
I gues 20-25 Euros plus the postage. I odered it about amazon.fr (i made an extra account at the french amazon :-D D ). I guess now you will find it on amazon without problems. If not write Franck an Email in english.
Yes a very interesting book in the same format as the two Roman books by Francois Gilbert. I ordered my copy via Amazon Fr without any problems.

One observation however. Not many of the models look like typical Gauls, or 'Celts' as we used to call the baddies! But then was there a typical Celt or Gaul?

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Hello,

what do you mean with with a typical celtic look? Smile
oh dear, like I needed more books! These look great and will enhance my French..one way or another. What do you think of the others that Amazon.FR recommends?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote: What do you think of the others that Amazon.FR recommends?

I have to say I would highly recommend the whole series with this format, so that included all books by François Gilbert and the excellent woman's clothing book by Danielle Chastenet.
Also the books by Silvano Mattesini will give you a shock at first, but contains very useful data (although I don't agree with him on all aspects). For the last one, you should be able to read a bit of french to understand why the picture is in there.
The book on gladiators by Brice Lopez is also of use, but has been discussed in the Ancient combat sports subforum at lenght.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:I would highly recommend the whole series

ARGH you are costing me a lot of money! but well worth it. I just ordered the celtic book, and was waiting on ordering the women's book to see how the celtic one was first. These aren't offered on Amazon.US, sorry to say.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
This one is really good!

And of course don't forget the late roman one, also covering the 3rd century: <!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26081">viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26081<!-- l
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
Quote:
Quote:I would highly recommend the whole series

ARGH you are costing me a lot of money! but well worth it.

I'm sorry (and know the very same feeling) (and I only have the gladiator one, for now. No money for the other titles Sad )
ALA I BATAVORUM
Here is an short overview of this book:

http://www.arbre-celtique.com/encyclope ... u-7730.htm
Can't help but wander, is there any evidence of Celtic people BC wearing there Saegum like the guy in front there???

[Image: cvtgglois.jpg]
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
My copy arrived today.

I will have to bone up on my French but so far I am reserving judgement.

The belt suspension systems seems a little to far contrived to angle the swords at 30% and I am not sure of the evidence for a belt which looks like a western Buscabero Rig :o

As has been mentioned above ... the models dont look very "Celtic" ... that very loaded word 8) but I am dissappointed at no attempt at lime washed hair or a Vorcingeterix type tash.

The chariots look a bit lumpy too.

I think I will enjoy this book more for picking holes than anything else :|
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armement et auxiliaires gaulois, Gallic Weapons and Auxiliaries 2nd-1st centuries BC Crispianus 0 1,571 09-27-2016, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Le guerrier gaulois : Du Hallstatt à la conquête romaine Conal 1 1,173 01-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Guerre et Armement chez les Gaulois, Brunaux and Lambot Conal 1 1,412 05-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer