Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompeii Gladius Picture Help
Does anyone have good/detailed pictures or drawings of what the motifs are on the chape and locket of the Pompeii gladius in the middle of the picture (the one with the disks on the scabbard). Attached is a link to the drawing.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb24 ... mepii2.jpg

From the attached picture it appears as if the chape is there but half the locket is missing? Maybe it is the picture that is misleading and all the piece are there.

Any help would be appreciated.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
This looked to be a Pompeji find, if the dagger in the picture was anything to go by. The picture is plate 129 of the Junkelmann book. He describes the swords as mich. finds from Pompeji. The find is also described in
Miks as A591 and shown on plate 29 and in detail on tabel 208. The plates are described as upper plate having a standing figure of Mars? with spear, shield and vexillium, lower plate unclear and further masked by conservation layer.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Robert,

Thanks for the info. I know because I have seen Mik's picture. I thought that there might have been some other high resolution photos out there.

However, from all the sources, it appears that the second plate is poorly discernable.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I know its not the same, but I have some half decent shots of a similar set of punched plates from the one in Leeds Armoury? Any good?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes Byron,

That would be a great help.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

Paolo
[Image: Egypt-England-home053.jpg]

[Image: Egypt-England-home054.jpg]

[Image: Egypt-England-home055.jpg]

Not the Best quality, but hopefully helpfull.
Can e-mail them if you want them.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron,

Thanks for the pictures. If you could e-mail them, maybe the resolution would be better. I will pm you my private e-mail.

Paolo
There are some good photos of that sword in Legio VI (USA) web page:

[Image: lockett.jpg]

[Image: chape.jpg]
Well, thats what plebs like me are left with, photos taken through glass.
:roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius Type - Pompeii or Mainz? Gatorsailor 12 3,629 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Pompeii gladius weight question zlatev 3 2,840 02-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Last Post: pmel018
  Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress sulla felix 71 12,465 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Robert