Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legions Eagles
Hi, just joined, fantastic site. I cannot find a previous discussion on this topic and apologize if it has been dealt with previously.<br>
I was inquiring as to whether any of Romes legendary legion eagles have ever been recovered or in possession of any museums. I was immersed in Stephen Dando Collins latest book, "Nero's Killing Machine" and noted that the 14th lost its first eagle in battle and was apparently never recovered. It would obviously be an impressive archaeological discovery to recover such an item.<br>
Tadius Maximus<br>
Victoria, Australia <p></p><i></i>
Hi Tadius,<br>
Welcome to RAT!<br>
No legionary eagle has ever been found, alas. So if you do, you probably stand to make great fame and fortune! <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Its a good bet that if any eagles were lost in battle barbarians would melt them down for precious metals. Although the Parthians later returned the aquilas taken from the Romans at Carrhae. But considering that there were probably no more than (guestimating) 200 legions in the history of the Republic/Empire what few eagles there were would be pretty rare. But what a find!! We can still dream right? <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=paullus@romanarmytalk>Paullus</A> at: 1/5/05 6:01 pm<br></i>
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
You would have thought that in the history of the roman army, some where lies an eagle, buried in the heat of battle to keep it from the enemy when all hope was lost or buried by the "barbarians" to escape the rath of rome. I notice a lot of claims on ebay etc that this or that was part of roman standards, do we have archeological evidence of these in museums? I have read there is was a standard recovered in egypt? <p></p><i></i>
There are bits and pieces of other standards, no parts of eagles though, as far as I know. The Egyptian one is a vexillum and I think is kept in St.Petersburg. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
i remember an eagle in Connolly´s "Greece and Rome at war" or was that a vexillum? <p>-------------------------------------------------------<br>
A great flame follows a little spark.<br>
Dante Alighieri,The Divine Comedy<br>
</p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
I believe you mean the vexillum from Egypt now in St. Petersburg. Connolly did paint it in one of his books. I think it was "victory" , and may have been just a appropriate awarded to the winner of a chariot race, as it might in a military context. There seems to be a "Victory" standard on Trajan's column which is an actual statue of the Goddess above a cloth vexillum.<br>
<br>
There have been many claims of Roman Legionary Eagles being discovered, but all that I have seen seem to small and were probably just another kind of ornament, as eagles were a popular Roman motiff. I doubt any barbarians would melt a captured Roman eagle for its metal content, as its capture held too great prestige among other Barbarian, and the Romans themselves.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
"I doubt any barbarians would melt a captured Roman eagle for its metal content, as its capture held too great prestige among other Barbarian, and the Romans themselves."<br>
<br>
As long as Rome was important. I guess if there would have been eagles kept by barbarians they would have been lost, incorporated into other things or simply melted to get the raw materials in later periodes. They would have had to keep them for centuries without losing them .<br>
<br>
And for the Romans the eagles were religious items, so they might have destroyed some themselves after becoming christians, just like they did with the temples or the Victoria altar. <p></p><i></i>
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Not a real Roman standard - but this roman Gryphon head<br>
was found mounted on a stake with traces of red and blue textiles attached in the Danish weaponsacrifice at Vimose.<br>
<br>
wagnijo.150m.com/Gryphon.jpg<br>
<br>
The current thinking is that the Gryphon originally was mounted on a Roman parade helmet but found another use<br>
as a standard among germanics - Likely inspired by Roman<br>
eagle standards.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Wagnijo <p></p><i></i>
Can't see the picture <p></p><i></i>
Greets - Uwe
Here is lower quality pic at a site allowing linking.<br>
<br>
www.freeimagehome.com/images/wagnijo/gryphon.jpg <br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Wagnijo<br>
<p></p><i></i>
www.freeimagehome.com/images/wagnijo/gryphon.jpg<br>
<p>-------------------------------------------------------<br>
A great flame follows a little spark.<br>
Dante Alighieri,The Divine Comedy<br>
</p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Hmmmmm..............<br>
<br>
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISA...96011&rd=1<br>
<br>
Opinions anyone? <p></p><i></i>
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
It must be real, I mean if they are selling on ebay <br>
<br>
what a bedraggled eagle!<br>
If it is really 3rd century it might be worth 15 pounds, even if it is a duck on a pot top or something.....<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
<p></p><i></i>
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oddity regarding third of Varus' legions' eagles ParthianBow 3 2,458 06-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Last Post: ParthianBow