Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Eagle of the Ninth Series got me into Roman Archeolagy.
Sutcliff has to be one of the most consummately skilled authors in this genre, both for style and characterization. Her sense of time and place is wonderful, and she manages to powerfully evoke our interest in her character's struggles and triumphs. As another reviewer noted, Sutcliff's people are real, not some silly pasteboard stereotypes of modernity, flicked back about 1500 years.

The plot is tight, avoiding unnecessary haste (which helps to give a sense of reality, as well), but not degenerating into a slough of wasted pages devoted to trivialities. Sutcliff's keen sense of location is a delightful aspect of the story--- one feels that she was intimately acquainted with Great Britain's wilds, and loved them for what they are and were: solemn, unfathomable, and full of mystery.

An obvious scholar of Celtic and Roman traditions and culture, Sutcliff manages to subtly impart a great deal of information without lapsing into "textbookishness"--- that alone is no mean feat! Readers will find that there horizons have been broadened after diving into her books.

If you feel your Devotion to Roman History waining or just want a good roman series to read then I Highley recommend this to you.
Hi Rdjuslius,

Please select a proper forum before you post? The marketplace section of Julia is NOT the proper place for a post about a book (which I happen to like).

Secondly, may I ask you to enter your real (first) name in your signature (profile)?

Thirdly, could you please properly read the forum rules as to forego more mistakes? :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I found this intresting post: http://antoninuspius.blogspot.com/
** Vincula/Lucy **
Quote:Hi Rdjuslius,

Please select a proper forum before you post? The marketplace section of Julia is NOT the proper place for a post about a book (which I happen to like).

Secondly, may I ask you to enter your real (first) name in your signature (profile)?

Thirdly, could you please properly read the forum rules as to forego more mistakes? :wink:

My Real first name is actualy Julius thats what got ne into Archeology in the first place and I apologise for putting it in the wrong place.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eagle of the Ninth on the Radio mcbishop 3 1,612 10-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott
  Review:The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff ParthianBow 42 10,314 09-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Brent Nielsen
  Eagle of the Ninth to be filmed Robert Vermaat 54 12,011 01-02-2010, 04:03 AM
Last Post: Marcus F.