Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How stuppid would it be to want a iron Squamata???
Quote:There wasn't very much left of the Roman army in Rome at the sacking around 387BC, following the Battle of Allia.

Do you have any source for figures etc?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Not handy. But the general view is that the whole army, pretty much, was destroyed at Allia, and there wasn't much of a home defense force in Rome, except some guards for the politicians. Nothing that could resist an invading army of Gauls, bent on looting and sacking the city.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The question of soldiers' iron scale armour has been discussed a few times, but with little consensus. I've seen quite large iron scales from Dura Europos in particular, but there is some doubt whether they'd be for a man or a horse- Dr. James suggests more likely the latter I believe. I recall asking if any 'soldier size' iron scales were known, but don't think I got any real answer- not in the positive anyway.

I don't know if corrosion would be all that serious a problem- afterall, lamellar armour was used throughout the Dark Ages, little plates being rivetted directly to leather, which has the same problem as the heavy linen sub garment of an L. squamata with respect to becoming sodden. Plus, of course, rust was to be expected and it may be our modern issues with our toys that's colouring the perception somewhat :wink: And there are different forms of iron oxidation, not all of which are progresssive and destructive- in some instances, after a certain point, the layer of oxidation present actually protects the iron from further corrosion.

I would say look for 'soldier sized' scales in iron- similar to those in copper alloy that are surely for men and not animals- and you'll be fine with the choice. Otherwise it may be a bit dodgy to postulate the existence of such things given the complexity in making or the cost of an L. squamata...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!