Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working on an triumvirate impression
The belt tightening helps a lot! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I am even going to try and mount the pugio right in front like on the stele and see how feasable this would be.

Nice. I'm much interested with your experiences, when you've done that. (Including pictures how you actually secured your pugio.)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Not all twin belts are depicted as crossed over.
This one shows that the sword belt is worn above the pugio/apron belt therefore probably augmenting the support for the (heavier) sword.

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,94/

However... This soldier is depicted wearing his belts with the apron belt on top but the pugio is suspended from the lower (apronless) belt!

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,94/
or of course the lower belt in the last case could still have the apron attached but passed up behind the sword belt too ...... assuming the aprons arent always split into the belt leather of course Big Grin
Adam Rudling
The Vicus - recreating life in 1st Century Britain
Great, that more or less leaves it up to individual taste as to how you do it!! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:or of course the lower belt in the last case could still have the apron attached but passed up behind the sword belt too ...... assuming the aprons arent always split into the belt leather of course Big Grin

Which could also explain its shortness in relation to the hem of the tunic, compared to the usual length for that period and place IIRC. Perhaps not so much lack of skill on the part of the author.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!