Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome the movie
Got this from Kevin McKidd's Facebook:

Quote:Ray Stevenson says Rome movie is on
“It’s no longer a rumour…”

Ray Stevenson is going on the record as saying that a film version of the BBC/HBO series Rome is now out of rumour status and crawling through development.

“It is no longer a smoke and mirrors rumour. The script is in full development,” he told Movieweb. “As you are probably aware, this is a pretty strange process. We could go into production in a year, or it could be as quick as six months. Who knows?”

Of course, this is just one of the stars of the show reporting what he’s heard, but it certainly sounds like Stevenson has some knowledge of what’s going on.

But the real news, we’d guess, will come from series co-creator Brunp Heller, which Stevenson admits. “Bruno is the one writing the movie, thankfully. I don't think anybody else could write the movie. It will be Bruno at the helm. That guy has a soft spot for Pullo and Vorenus. I don't think he will let the ball drop. I don't think he will disappoint.”

Given that Rome was somewhat abruptly cancelled (mostly due to the high cost of shooting in those huge Italian sets), we’d be excited to see more from Stevenson and Kevin McKidd’s Vorenus .

But will the final film be able to keep up with the series’ boundary-pushing material and still be a marketable release? Only time will tell…

[Source: Movie Web]
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Excellent news!!!! Big Grin 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
But what could the movie be about? Would they rehash events they already portrayed in the series?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Hmmm, lets see.........about 2000 years ago, towards the end of the reign of Augustus, there were three proud legions, and an elderly General, I think his name was Quictilius Varus or something.....

Anyway, he was off chasing down some bothersome natives in Germania...... :lol:

But I am sure there will be a good plot to the movie....... Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It wouldn't have to take up at the end and continue the saga. It could be a new story, revisiting some of the gaps in the HBO series. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Argh I REALLY hope this is true Big Grin

And certainly not because it'd mean more of the lovely Pullo and Vorenus :oops: :lol:
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Good news. I'm glad they decided to continue the series with a movie. I need my fix of Vorenus and Pullo.
Renius/Greg German
Legio VI FFC
maybe a prequel would make sense, so more about Caesar's conquest of Gallia (especially since a really good movie about that hasn't been made so far).
--- Marcus F. ---
Quote:maybe a prequel would make sense, so more about Caesar's conquest of Gallia (especially since a really good movie about that hasn't been made so far).

Now that could be interesting.

Although he wasn't balding I very much liked Ciaran Hinds as Julius Caesar. More of him along with new and old characters from the Gallic wars would be welcome.

I doubt they are thinking in that direction but it would be great if they did.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
A prequel would be nice...BUT you would not have the character relationship between Vorenus and Pullo, which was for me, one of the main driving forces of ROME. Those two characters only bonded far after episode 1 of Season 1...so there would likely be little interaction in a prequel like their was in the main series. It'd be like a movie where R2-D2 and C3PO aren't together...oh...like Phantom Menace which sucked!!!

No, the movie will have to be stand alone enough for new viewers not to be confused if the movie is all they saw. That leaves something during the series, or something completely new. Vorenus is dead which rules out a sequel...

Legion: TBD
Quote:maybe a prequel would make sense, so more about Caesar's conquest of Gallia (especially since a really good movie about that hasn't been made so far).

That was actually my biggest dissappointment with the series! It would be an excellent, if violent movie! (or perhaps 2 or 3)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:A prequel would be nice...BUT you would not have the character relationship between Vorenus and Pullo, which was for me, one of the main driving forces of ROME. Those two characters only bonded far after episode 1 of Season 1...so there would likely be little interaction in a prequel like their was in the main series. It'd be like a movie where R2-D2 and C3PO aren't together...oh...like Phantom Menace which sucked!!!

No, the movie will have to be stand alone enough for new viewers not to be confused if the movie is all they saw. That leaves something during the series, or something completely new. Vorenus is dead which rules out a sequel...

Actually...

Pullo and Vorenus do have a character relationship prior to the first episode and it might be interesting to explore that, though I agree they did not bond as friends until after Episode 1 and that dynamic would be sorely missed.

On the other hand, it is not absolutely certain that Vorenus is dead. As is typical for Hollywood they left the
door open just enough to allow for his return.

So, if we agree that their dynamic is one of the more appealing aspects of this series than it will be a sequel or a deeper examination of an event touched upon in the series. You are quite right -- the film should be self contained so those who have little or no knowledge of the series itself can still enjoy the film.

As for Star Wars TPM... well, it certainly was not Star Wars or at least the Star Wars I remember. Then again Lucas set himself an almost impossible task in writing a new series of films whose conclusion we already knew. Thus any "better" idea, character, or situation he might come up with (Darth Maul) would have to be bent towards the already established story line even if the new idea made more dramatic sense. That any of the prequels did not live up to our expectations, while disappointing, is not that surprising. (Some ideas, like the "fleshing out" of the clones and their military regalia made more sense than the aborted "midi-clorin" nonsense.)

However...

It might be more instructive to look at other TV series that have made the jump to feature films and there the landscape is littered with failure. Indeed, I would rather sit through another viewing of Phantom Menace then either of the X-Files films, or Bewitched, Sex & the City, Maverick, Wild Wild West, The Avengers, My Favorite Martian, etc. etc. etc. Star Trek is one of the very few exceptions of a series making a successful jump from the little screen to the big one, and even then the record is a bit hit & miss. (Remember Star Trek V...?)

It will be interesting to see what path the Rome production team decides upon.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:it is not absolutely certain that Vorenus is dead

I'm sure the discussion boards are full of this, but *I* say that in the end, Pullo tells two lies to Octavian: 1) that the boy is dead, and that Pullo himself killed him; 2) Vorenus didn't make it. Obviously the boy is alive, and one can easily say that Vorenus is too.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I personally think that in order for the movie to be any good, it has to be about three hours long where a story is fully developed evenly.

The reason I mention this is because the current productions are crappy movies where they drag the first hour and 25 minutes along and then in the last 10 minutes wrap up the movie by having a bad guy kill a good guy and the good guy gets the girl. If this is what is going to happen, I'd say save the money.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  China vs Rome for control of Silk Road new movie Michael Kerr 31 8,617 06-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Rome Sweet Rome movie D B Campbell 9 2,344 03-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Vindex