Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CENTURION film: Babes in face paint!
Quote:He might consider changing the title to "Babe Heart" to give the audience a better idea what they are walking into.
Narukami

Will she lift her kilt? Smile lol: :twisted: Big Grin
Ben.
Ooo-Arrrr good enough reason for me to see it!! :lol: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Ooo-Arrrr good enough reason for me to see it!! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Hee hee... I need a life
Ben.
Quote:
ViperScot:2yt6wnx8 Wrote:This has to be the most pedantic forum I've ever come across!

I'm happy to see a movie coming out that shows the Roman Army getting it's arse kicked, as definitely happened from time-to-time.

After Mons Graupius, the northern Scottish tribes learnt how to fight the Romans and, in this respect, I think 'Centurion' will be quite accurate...

There will certainly be lots of inaccuracies in the film and I think Neil Marshall is more than aware of these. BUT THIS IS A FEATURE FILM, NOT A DOCUMENTARY!!! It's not meant to pander to pedants...

Sure, what I would expect from a true scots :wink: ...btw, you need to put your real name in your signature Scottie boy!
As to learning how to fight the Romans, they resorted to the only method available to anyone who could not field a modern field army, then as today, and resorted to guerrilla warfare. It was possibly a fluke that the Romans managed to catch them enmass at Mons Graupius, as I believe they were more inclined to avoid the Romans in a head on confrontation before then too. But I am inclined to believe it was good intelligence and the Romans ability to move rapidly that helped them corner them for a large scale confrontation.

BTW, are you saying the Romans get their asses kicked in the movie? Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: :lol: What novel is this based on then?

We're not so much pedantic as people who spend a lot of time following a hobby in some cases, others who have careers in history, archaeology, etc

It wouldn't be the end of the world to expect a film to accurately portray the Romans
any more than any other aspect of history in a movie.....saying that I quite liked Gladiator...Duck incoming missiles but all the same, I would love to get the chance to see a film that shows it how it really was, instead of as a figment of the imagination.

Also, I am quite jealous that us Romans who live up in the north didn't get a shot in there too. Smile

Roman dog, if you would like a shot at a Pict then I live in Alford!! Come and have your head cleaved by a REAL warrior! Big Grin

But seriously, I believe the Romans get well and truely HUMPED in the film. This clearly happened on occassion; it was just that the Roman 'historians' chose to gloss over such humiliations... Lots of evidence of war propaganda by the Romans... For instance, Tacitus' account of 10,000 members of the confederation of the northern tribes killed versus about 360 Romans... come on, unless the Romans had semi-automatic weapons!!! :roll:
Hamish Moir
Tacitus' and others numbers might be exaggerated or not. Although I guess these numbers include many non-combatatants and / or poorly trained "civilians".
However, a stark disproportion in casualties is not automatically propaganda. The battle of Pydna in 168 BCE for example saw 25.000 dead Greeks and only 200 Roman casualties at the end of the day.
In general most casualties in battles of antiquity arose from them ensuing rout, when the defeated were literally cut down in hundreds or thousands.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
ViperScot, please add your real name to your signature please. Forum rules. 8)

Legion: TBD
I'll see you at Mons Graupius(Archaolink) Caledonian sheep-shaggie!!! :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I'll see you at Mons Gaupius(Archaolink) Caledonian sheep-shaggie!!! :mrgreen:

Been there and it was rubbish! Big Grin
Hamish Moir
Quote:ViperScot, please add your real name to your signature please. Forum rules. 8)

How'd you do that?
Hamish Moir
This is beeing discussed elsewhere:
<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25729">viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25729<!-- l
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:2je3dyn3 Wrote:I'll see you at Mons Gaupius(Archaolink) Caledonian sheep-shaggie!!! :mrgreen:

So how would you suggest they improve it?
Or are you refering to when you were there when Agricola passed by and laid some Woop-ass on your butt? :wink:

Go into your profile and you will see a signature link, put it in there.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
ViperScot:3558tbv9 Wrote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:3558tbv9 Wrote:I'll see you at Mons Gaupius(Archaolink) Caledonian sheep-shaggie!!! :mrgreen:

So how would you suggest they improve it?
Or are you refering to when you were there when Agricola passed by and laid some Woop-ass on your butt? :wink:

Go into your profile and you will see a signature link, put it in there.

Well, it wasn't rubbish but it was looking a bit shabby... And I thought that they could have 'bigged up' the Pict bit more. It is the most enigmatic part of north of Scotland's history after all...
Hamish Moir
I guess it's possibly to do with the Picts being a Latin name for a conglomerate of northern peoples, as opposed to a tribal grouping?

But there are improvements to be made, plus we are trying to get a Roman group going there. I think there are quite a few people who do the role of Caledonian warriors there too. Good potential with some effort from interested people! Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I guess it's possibly to d owit hthe Picys being a Latin name for a conglomerate of northern peoples, as opposed to a tribal grouping?

But there are improvements to be made, plus we are trying to get a Roman group going there. I think there are quite a few people who do the role of Caledonian warriors there too. Good potential with some effort from interested people! Smile

Indeed - the Picts would not have called themselves such, especially not during early Roman times. Even the Romans would not have referred to them as such during the period Centurion is set (117AD) - the term arrived a couple of centuries later.

I was speaking to a guy who runs the Britania battle re-enactment group down south recently. He suggested that there were no dedicated 'Pictish' groups anywhere in the UK - is that the case?
Hamish Moir
Well, aside from the infamous 'Robbie the Pict' you've got me there!

It is a slightly later period than we do, but it is definately an era that would be useful for reenactment, in my mind!

Perhaps the other guys on here who are more familiar with the later period would know for sure!

I am just a dabbler with the later periods, for now!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1950\'s movie Babes Hibernicus 22 4,111 05-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Last Post: TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS