Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the real number of men in a legion?
I have heard many different ideas ranging from 800 to 30000. Which one is correct? <p></p><i></i>
The number does indeed vary for period and the academic you ask the question. For the early empire, you'll usually find the following numbers:<br>
60 centuries of 80 men: 4800<br>
(or: 54 centuries of 80 men, 5 centuries of 160 men for a double strength first cohort: 5120)<br>
Legionary equites: 120 men<br>
Mule-handlers, slaves and other various troops: several hundred.<br>
The total would in theory be between 5000 en 5500. However, it is well known that most units were often below (and sometimes above) paper strength. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper,<br>
<br>
Thank you for submitting your answer. I had no idea the numbers varied from age to age. None of the books I've ever read said that. They all just gave one base number and that was that.<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
<br>
P.G.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Numbers in Republican times are different again about 120 per manipel and 60 for a triarii manipel up to 160 to 80 while this may vary as well.<br>
<br>
In late antiquity the troops which were still called legions had about half the strenght of the numbers Jasper gave.<br>
<br>
Dunno where you heard 30.000 but that's way too much. <p></p><i></i>
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
remember that legions in real life often had less troops their theoretical strength. If i remember correctly the famous 10th legion of Caesar for example only had about 1000 men in the end. <p>-------------------------------------------------------<br>
A great flame follows a little spark.<br>
Dante Alighieri,The Divine Comedy<br>
</p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
yes. The question is when they were refilled. Caesar obviously did not refill his legions all the time. I'm sure that was different during the imperial period: whether refillment or combining legions (gemina) at a time.<br>
<br>
I'd say unterstrenght is "standard" and full or overstrenght only for wars and such. <p></p><i></i>
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
30.000? Wow.<br>
But after Theodosius, a legion varied from 1000 at most to under 500, although there is some speculation involved in these numbers. <p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
[url=http://www.fectio.org.uk/" target="top]fectienses seniores[/url]</p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)